1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 - Thanks!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Brooktop, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just wanted to say a big thanks to you guys - particularly hornydragon and stevelup. I was about to plump for the 42PX11, but with your advice realised that the PW6 was a better (and cheaper) option for me. :smashin:

Got the necessary cable yesterday and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. No motion blur, funny skin tones, solarisation, greys instead of blacks or other imperfections - as far as I can see. It looks as good, if not better as £3.5k Sony demos I've seen!

It has highlighted however that my terrestrial pic is far better than my NTL cable analogue pic (which I'd already suspected with my 32" Wega CRT). Do you think freeview would give me a better pic?

2. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Hi Mate,

I currently have Wega CRT and thinking of upgrading to the PW7.

The reason i bought my Sony was because of the quality of the image would u say your Pw6 wipes the floor with your Wega??

Thanks

Dal

3. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I'd say it was easily as good - but considering that it's 10" bigger, that's no mean feat!

My g/f's dad has a 37" Viera on my recommendation (it gets good reviews!). The pic on the PW6 is equally as good as that (if not better) - and has more options for flexibility and future-proofing eg DVI in.

I was worried about the pic quality - especially as I bought it without having seen a demo. I bought it based on peoples' recommendations from the AV Forum (you'll find v few threads of people knocking them!). Even the guy in RS said they didn't need to have one on display because they sell themselves. (Could be a bit of BS there though!).

Good luck!

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

Freeview will give you an RGB signal and true widescreen. It will almost certainly be an improvement for you.

You could get one from Argos and make use of their 16 day money back guarantee if you're not happy with it.

Steve

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    steve i think argos exclude FV boxes from their 16day policy, Brooktop glad you are happy mate, please stick around and help others for a FV box th Humax PVR8000T is very good and gives very good recording quality......

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    You are quite right about the 16 day exclusion.

Sorry!

Steve

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    however order from dixons online and return to a local store wont get a refund on P&P but better than nowt......or may be able to do this in store, but most places are quite certain on FV boxes.....

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    ASDA are selling very good freeview boxs for £39

you can return anything to them, if you don't like it.

9. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    pjclark1 - cheers! just got back from Asda as well...never mind!
    hornydevil - thanx m8! sure will - have already been posting today.
    Afraid my knowledge is limited at the moment...a mere padawan...you are the master!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    lol no worries....mate enjoy......

11. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    don't suppose I need to be looking for anything special on one of these boxes do I?

Is it just a case of RF aerial > FV box > E55 (by scart). My E55 then goes direct from component>VGA input on the PW6.

I already have my VCR (remember them?) going to scart on the E55; I suppose I'll have to sacrifice that cos the E55 has 1 scart in and 1 scart out (now unused)...or can both scarts act as in/out?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need to check your manual mate, i would either drop VCR or get a scart board for it (can use Video board, composite S-video inputs) E55 is current ly converting composite to component with FV need to use RGB for best quality... a Humax PVR8000T or other FV PVR may be the ideal solution mate

13. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Having recently shelled out for an E55 and Yamaha amp...not to mention the plasma...circa £150 might be pushing it. Having a HDD may also be a bit OTT seeing as I'm happy with the recording capabilities of the E55 (I watch more DVDs than TV). Is there a bog standard FV box that would do the job?

Does the E55 not convert the RGB in signal from the FV box to component for displaying on the PW6? ie similar to what it's doing with my current analogue signals (terrestrial and cable)?

In terms of PQ, I'm well happy with the pics from my terrestrial, but cable PQ is decidedly grainy (some channels worse than others). I've noticed that American shows eg Star Trek, SG1 are poor/grainy - then an advert will come on on the same channel and the image is perfectly acceptable.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a bog standard FV box will be fine mate there is a panny TUCT 20 in classsifieds at the moment for sale connect to E55 and use E55 for analogue and you will be fine mate digital cable will help...if you want to keep sky one etc

15. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    could do...but I'd be paying an extra £10 per month, just for the sake of having Sky One...and I don't watch it that much...just for Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

Couldn't see that TUCT20 btw.

Would be nice to get it from a store that would take it back if I didn't like it. The FV site says there is coverage in my area, but I'm not sure how I'd find out if my aerial needs upgrading. Therefore Currys seems a good bet. Any reason why this one won't do the job?

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0625692982.1107530714@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadddkggmkfgcflgceggdhhmdfhn.0&page=Product&sku=292692&category_oid=-23190&fm=3&sm=2&tm=undefined

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no but i would touch MAtsui with a barge pole........Ooops it was TU-DS20 (sky box sorry) TUCT-30 would be good and the Sony box is supposed to be great... try www.pricerunner.co.uk