1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 solarisation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fraggle, Dec 17, 2004.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all,

Had my 42PW6 for a few months now.

One of the reasons I bought it was Pannys claims that it could reproduce 1024 gradient steps of any colour, which sounded enough to never see the solarisation problem.

Problem is I can see it everywhere.

Went down to the shops the other day and compared a Viera 37" against some 37" Sony plasma. The solarisation was present on both, but on the Panny it "shimmered" a lot, the boundaries between the gradient bands constantly shifting around. The Sony handled it a *lot* better, the overall solarisation being a lot less apparent. Looking closely the Sony managed to hold the gradient bands rock solid, and because they weren't moving around they were just unnoticable in a lot of situations.

Anyone got any tips for reducing the effects on a PW6?

Using Freeview/Tivo via RGB and DVD prog scan via VGA (or RGB depending if I can't be bothered turning the amps on :) )

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a similar set up (albeit Sky ilo Freeview) but the only time I see solarisation is via Tivo, which is understandable due to the extra encoding/quality reduction it involves). Do you really get it with your DVD? Mine is a non progressive Sony NS900 using component via the VGA port and it's excellent - never seen any solarisation.
    TIVO is a bit of a problem and I'm playing around with Mode 0 to see if it can be improved by upping the resolution and bitrate. I don't really get any problems with Sky if I bypass TIVO (all connected using a JS RGB to component converter)

Cheers,

Simon

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I've got a pw6 and there was plenty of solarisation when I first had the screen but after setting it up with a video essentials dvd I have no problems and the picture is awesome. I use a sony player with component progressive scan.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Get it on mine but it depends on the source and what scenes are actually being displayed (fog and underwater scenes being the worst culprits). Some Sky channels look bloody awful, others brilliant. At times solarization is visible on DVD as well. We also have a JVC PD35B50 plasma and that has far less solarization and colour banding but has more dithering (green dots). The black levels aren't quite as good though. Sky via RGB Scart looks better on this than it does on my Panny fed with a Video Processor. The JVC seems to hide poor quality sources better than my Panny.

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    What did you adjust when you calibrated the plasma?

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think the best clip to see it is on the intro credits for ST Voyager. Where Voyager is flying away from a planet towards the viewer and the sun appears from behind the planet. The sun burst really shows the solarisation up.

If you'd like to watch this scene and let me know it'd be appreciated.

(thinks : must find out the firmware version in my screen...)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Jase do you seriously think the B50 copes better? with its amazing 750:1 contrast..... I had a B50 next to PW5 and the PW5 was stunningly better on everything analogue TV was the only thing that was watchable on the JVC....

8. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Contrast hasn't really got a lot to do with it. It's the graduation between black and white that counts, not the absolute difference - and contrast ratios tell you nothing about that. In fact, for any given number of graduations, a lower contrast will help reduce the visible banding - the difference between each shade being smaller. But then the picture won't be as dynamic.

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    For Sky, yes. Made me wonder why I'd spent twice the amount on my PWD6, Lumagen and Calibration. Bit of a shocker really. The JVC needs to be tinkered though, default settings are crap. It's at it's best with Digipure Off, Picture and Colour Management ON, VNR - Min. Contrast on the LOWEST setting, Brightness wound down, Sharpness on the LOWEST etc. Adjusted with DVE & AVIA. Overscan is spot on as well. Maybe we've just got a good one. ;)

For DVD's it's a different matter. My Panny is way ahead but then I'd expect it to be as it's fed an SDI signal source scaled to 720p and output via RGBHV. One day I'll test the JVC being fed from my Lumagen etc, don't have the time at the moment.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i could only Side by side on DVD using 2 HK DVD25 in PS and interlaced.... but the JVC after 4 hours of tinlering with DVE was better but still nasty............ Dithering everywhere and lots of diaganol noise....

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Fraggle, we presume you've run DVE or equivalent on your screen? It's true there is no way to eliminate solarization on the PW6, or 7 or 5 for that matter, that's the maun reason I now suggest the PHD models. Now that they are affordable rather than stratospheric in price that is. It really shouldn't be totally obvious on a PW though. Strangely I find it less noticeable on s-video than component.

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi Guy's

Can someone tell me what solarization is?
    I was going to get a pw6 from AV-sales but the talk of colour banding green dots etc is starting to put me right off. Just how good or bad are these screens?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As good as it gets for the money. I've said this before, and not got flamed yet, but you are in the company of a bunch of video anal retentives. The sad part is we're proud of it! I have not yet had a client who has noticed solarisation, or green dots, or in fact any of the other issues, even the digital crap, except 1 in that case, and quite right he was. They have the most CRT-like picture on the plasma market, are easy to set up, idiot proof and pretty reliable. What more can I say?

14. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Idiot proof? thank god for that. :laugh:
    Thanks for the reply mate, i'll go get a demo where i can see it set up right.
    Its always the same with me i think i'll buy this tv-pj-plasma then read the threads on the item and be put off with all the problems people moan about. :suicide:

15. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I haven't set it up yet, no. I got it, tweeked the brightness/contrast/sharpness for preference and thought "pretty good picture" and left it at that.

Suppose I'll dig the DVD out and have a fiddle, if I can remember how to get into the service menu! :)

frag