1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 Sky+ and DVD connection options?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Fedorov, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Firstly, please don't hold it against me that I've just bought the Panny PW6 from Ebuyer with the included TY42TM6YB BNC Video card - I didn't know about av-sales until after finding these forums etc.... :blush:

In anticipation of it arriving tomorrow I've rushed out today and hope I've made some good purchases - appreciate any useful advice here please.

I figured that as the "included" BNC board has S-Video and my Sky+ and my Sony DVD player both have S-Video outputs that I could just take a nice high quality 5m S-Video cable down from the PW6 (keep everything down to ONE cable), find a way to merge the 2 x S-Videos into my PW6 cable...

So I got a nice expensive 5m S-Video cable from Richer Sounds today, then went to Maplin to see what options I had.... I got this box for 30 pounds:
    http://www.globalsources.com/si/600...h/product_id-8819472575/action-GetProduct.htm

It's got 4 x S-Video inputs so my Sky+ and DVD are covered, and output onto my 5m cable direct to the PW6.

Does this seem a reasonable solution that should give me good quality results?

I've also got a Playstation2, no rush but presumably somewhere I can get a cable that gives me PS2 to S-Video to also plug into this box of tricks.

Really appreciate your thoughts, even more so in n00b terminology, I can't believe how difficult it is to get good connection information from all these places that sell Plasma's - nobody seems to know what I would class as simple, Sky+ and a DVD, they seem more interested in selling you the Panasonic Tuner for 500 quid!!! :)

Thanks again,

Fedorov.

2. markmoore767

markmoore767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fedorov,

Do you have an amp? If not, you do realise that svideo does not carry sound? You'll need another cable at least.

3. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, yes I already have an amp/surround system so sound isn't an issue, just getting everything to the plasma in an easy solution at a reasonable price is my goal of trying to just take it all the S-Video route.

Fedorov.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can get PS2 SVHS cables, and SVHS should give a good picture. However you do have the option to go up another level, to RGB or Component signal. For the Sky box this would entail a £120 converter so may not be something you wanna run out and do right away, but it is worth checking if your DVD player has component video connections - 3 phono plugs coloured red, green and blue. These connect to 3 of the BNC plugs on the plasma screen and give the best quality connection.

5. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Liam - yea I just figured that as my Sony DVD doesn't have Component out, but everything is easily S-Video out (Sky+, DVD, PS2) then hopefully this 30 quid box of tricks from Maplin will just let me switch between each one - thereby giving me a single S-video cable up to the Plasma and hopefully a pretty decent quality still??? :)

Thanks, Fedorov.

6. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's already sitting at home waiting for me - guess what I'm setting up tonight!!! :)

7. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did the PW6 from eBuyer come with the table top stand? It's pictured with it but there is no "image for illustrative purposes only" or "stand not included" disclaimer.....

If not, I wonder if it's leverage enough for a free stand... :devil:

8. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No stand, but I'm happy to report that it's in use by the wife already - albeit mounted on it's polystyrene base on the floor - tried Sky+ and my Spiderman DVD and looks very very nice so far via the S-Video. Haven't tried hooking all the S-Videos up through that Maplin box I got, but hopefully it'll just work :)

So far so good - I'm not going to sleep though until the wall mount gets delivered and a trustworthy friend bolts it to the wall - my fireplace wall is plasterboard - with the house end (bricks) behind - the weight of a Plasma is worrying me already having to go through all that plasterboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fedorov.

9. Grimbo

Grimbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are going to hear every little creak and bump in the night and be waiting for the mighty thud of £1600 worth of plasma crashing to the ground :devil:

10. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's been mounted on plasterboard since I got it. Using bog standard Rawl plugs. I mean, I know they're for wood and stone but they do the job...

:laugh:

Only joking, it's mounted on togglers (or something like that). About £9 a pair from B&Q and they claim to hold about twice the weight of the PWD6. The force of a wall mounted plasma is almost completely vertical with very little outwards pull so I'm not so worried anymore. Grimbo's right about hearing every creak, well, to start with anyway.

If it does crash to the floor then I guess that's why I pay for accidental damage on my insurance! (Have checked that Plasma's are covered and they are!)

11. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the new fireplace/surround was fitted today, and tonight I've had my PW6 on it's sexy polystyrene mounts on the floor to watch Troy on DVD - very nice virgin experience of my PW6 for a movie :)

Wall mount from av-sales coming tomorrow hopefully (thanks guys!)

Fedorov.