1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6/PW7 inputs

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sldt, Dec 29, 2004.

1. sldt

sldt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to purchase my first plasma which will be either a PW6 or PW7, but I'm wondering if a Daewoo DSA-9310E tuner (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11073&item=5738801034) would provide an input to the plasma doing away with the need for terminal boards. Does anyone have any comments on this method particularly concerning picture quality, I will be connecting a Sky box & DMRE55.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As you already have 2 TV tuners, 1 digital, 1 analogue, what on earth do you want with another 2? Your existing ones are likely to be at least as good, and in the case of sky, way better, than this device when correctly connected.

3. sldt

sldt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know about the tuners but my understanding was that the plasma only had a PC monitor type input & that I needed to convert all my AV signals to this input, having read that the Panasonic scart boards were'nt the best option I wondered if this would provide a better solution.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are tons of better ways, and likely the scart board will outperform this device, it's not as black as it's painted. There are other boards to consider too, a component board being one other option.

5. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Do this quickly!
    Get one of the last pw6's from av sales, this can take a component signal via its PC input! The pw7 doesn't!
    (a top quality Van Damme PC to component cable will cost about £45)

Then get an amp with component up-scaling and switch everything through that.

You then don't need any boards at all, but I got a free scart board for 'just in case'.

Do it!
    Do it!
    Do it!

Have fun

Stuart

6. neal666

neal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Are all the Input boards for the PW6/PW7 compatable with each other i have just ogt a PW7 and my mate who had a PW6 has offred me a input board cheap which he does not use it is model no. TY-42TM6Y the double board which has COMPOSITE and COMPONENT +svideo will this work on my PW7 ???

any help would be great

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    try not to post twice.

8. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    If you do a seach you will find there are problems with the Daewoo and its use with a Panasonic Plasma.

Firstly, the VGA input on the plasma does not provide a colour level control and the picture is over saturated by a large degree.

Secondly, you cannot get all the widescreen modes like JUST.

And finally, the Daewoo uplifts PAL-50 to PAL-60 which makes panning jerky on terrestrial broadcasts.

Basically you get what you pay for, and the Daewoo is good value on paper, but not in practice...at least not with a Panasonic plasma anyway!

Jonathan

9. Fozz

Fozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Jon.
    Just a query as you seem to have some knowledge on the inputs of those PW6's.
    If I get TV signals using an NTL digital box and then use a JS RGB to VGA converter (http://www.av-sales.com/html/rgb_to_plasma_scrren_vga.html) to hook that NTL signal to the screen, will that be a good solution?
    (As I understand it I hook the NTL signal to that converter using a SCART cable and then from the converter to the screen using a 15-pin VGA cable).
    Will it be able to dynamically switch the screen size based on what picture it is getting?
    How good a Picture Quality could I expect to achieve?
    I would then hook the sound thru an amp to speakers.

Cheers for any info or advice anyone can give on this.
    Ciaran.

10. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    The problem with the Panasonic plasma, is that any input, by whatever device coming in via VGA will be limited on widescreen modes and the lack of a colour control.

However in the case of the JS RGB to VGA converter, the saturation level, although not changeable seems to be at the right level for most peoples tastes anyway. Personally I think its still a little over saturated for my tastes. However, the overall picture is excellent this way.

You will not get widescreen switching unless you use a SCART input. And if you are a fan of watching non-widescreen broadcasts but still fill the whole screen as in the Panasonic JUST mode (stretch at the sides), then you cannot use this via VGA.

I actually like the output via the SCART board and am puzzled what others see is wrong with it. I use a good SCART switcher.

I have a PC TV tuner going into the VGA input so I can do PIP/PAP etc. The TV Tuner has its own colour level control.

And finally I have the component board for the DVD player.

If you really don't want to buy any modules, then you might want to consider taking component into the PW6 through the VGA socket. I have never tried it, but I believe with component input via the VGA socket you will get your colour control back and access to the other widescreen modes. JS-technology make a RGB -> Component converter but as I say, I have not tried it.

Jonathan

11. sldt

sldt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Thanks for the tip, they have just dropped their online price by £200. Have one on hold and am collecting tomorrow - they would not do a deal though £1199 for the 37" PW7 + £150 for scart terminal board..... if all the other retailers drop their price over the next week, I will be grumpy!