1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 / PW7 + Denon 2805 switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ukroadster, Jan 29, 2005.

1. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I was wondering why the majority of people go for various input boards and JS Converters with the PW6 and PW7.

I was thinking of using my Denon 2805 as the switching unit with one output to the plasma ???

ie DVD into amp - S-VHS or Component (RGB ?) lead

SKY + into amp - S -VHS or RGB Scart to Component (RGB) ? (Is there such a lead ?)
    :confused:
    XBOX into amp - not really sure - Scart to s-vhs or component RGB ? :confused:

Then use the upscaling facility to output a single component output to the plasma.

A couple of questions please:

1. Any help on prefered connections to amp appreciated and the lead needed.

2. Is there such a lead as component to VGA to connect the amp output to the plasma.

3. Is it true that I can connect to the VGA on a PW6 and keep colour adjustment but not on a PW7 ?

4 If i cant get / use a component to VGA lead do I just buy a component input board and thats it.

5. The big one - will the picture quality be worse using the denon 2805 as the pass through/upscaler compared to the alternative of connecting them direct to the plasma with various input boards/ js converters etc.
    If so can someone please advise the best way of doing this with both the PW6 and PW7.

The Denon switching route seems the cheapest/most practical route but I dont want to introduce unwanted video degradation.

Any help and advice appreciated as I am ready to purchase, HorneyDragon :thumbsup: , Liam :thumbsup: ? (not bothered about the HD issues when these plasmas are under £1500).

Anyone already use the denon 2805 in this way and happy with the results ?

I apprecaite that some of these questions have been asked before from searching the forum but not all

Thanks

Andy

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I think your questions have been answered elsewhere, but for the record I use my 2805 as you describe and it works really well. However, please note:
    1. PW6 will take a component signal via the VGA socket, PW7 won't. This leaves colour adjustment possible.
    2. Your amp can only take component, s video and composite inputs (not RGB) and then outputs them all as component. I therefore use a JS Tech RGB to component converter for Sky etc to retain maximum quality (I then switch it through the amp for convenience and so I can have just one lead between amp and plasma). Quality is superb.
    3. Lead to connect component to VGA readily available - eg AV-Sales where I got mine

I think that just about covers everything..

Simon

3. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the reply Simon.

Did you try the SVHS output from the Sky+ to the Denon as the denon will upconvert to component, as you know, before getting the JS Tech RGB to component converter - was it that poor that you decided to go the JS Tech route ?

Did you also compare the dvd player straight to the plasma and through the denon ?

Would the XBOX be connected by composite or svhs ?

If I went for the PW7 then I would need to get a component input board I believe. This would then give me colour control - Yes???? :)

Once these are answered I will be either popping down to Richer sounds for a black PW6 or ordering a silver PW7 from AV-Sales.

Incidentally i rang AV-Sales today to get the answers to these questions but unfortunately they are shut weekends.

Any further help or guidance appreciated - dont want to get this wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks

Andy

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky box only has RGB or composite output, therefore it was an easy decision!
    I don't have an XBox, but if your choice is S video or composite, definitely go for S video. I think you can get component from it though can't you? - if so use that and switch through your amp.
    I didn't do a back to back on the DVD with and without the amp in the loop - but I don't think the amp would have any noticeable effect on quality and it's signal switching capabilities are high bandwidth - AND what it's designed to do after all :smashin:

It looks fab through the amp - you won't be disappointed!

Personally, I'd go for the PW6 (oh yes, that's what I did :clap: ) - although I'd much rather buy something from AV Sales than RS. If you did go the PW7 route, the component board would give you all the colour adjustment functionality.

Simon

5. mowbli

mowbli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of doing exactly the same with 3805...
    Notice RS are doing PWD6BX at 1249 which is a cracking deal, AV-sales have sold out so RS sounds like the likely place to buy from.

I know it doesn't come with a tuner but can someone confirm that the screen comes with VGA input as standard anyway so I won't need to buy any boards?

Thanks

Mowbli

6. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,954
    Yeah comes with vga as standard.

Mine is setup through my 3805, it works great.

7. Roswell

Roswell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of going with a Yamaha 750 and PW7. I've read lots and I know I should have it figured out by now but I'm still confused about connections. Should I use a Panasonic component board or a JS box from the Yamaha amp? I'm planning Sky+, DVD and X-Box too and was advised the Yamaha would be the best option, but that was when I was planning PW6 and it seems that there is some difference in the connectivity between the 6 and the 7 series.

I think I could get the component board bundled with the PW7 from AV-Sales and the PW7 would be better as it is 10% brighter and better resistant to screen burn.

8. mowbli

mowbli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon, I can't find the component to VGA cable on AV-sales, can you help with a link?

Thanks

9. timc3

timc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the board for my PW6 just in case I needed it in the future. I am going to buy a new amp soon and I knew I could do the above and save money, but if I couldn't get the board I needed at a later date then I think it would be pretty stupid. Plus I think the resale value of the screen is better with a board in.

10. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're buying the PW7 rather than the PW6 you can't use the VGA socket to input component - therefore you will need a Panny component board IF you want to switch all inputs via your amp. You should take a look at the JS Tech website so that you understand what the conversion bowes actually do - there are various versions for converting either RGB to VGA or compoent depending on your needs - one thing's for sure - you'll never need a JS box between your amp and plasma!

Simon

Simon

11. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes!
    Cables and Interconnects -> Van Damme (VGA to 3 RCA (YUV) - select the length you want) http://www.av-sales.com/html/vandamme.html

Simon

12. mowbli

mowbli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, thanks mate! Is there any difference between a YUV cable and a component one? Prob a silly question but I notice that there are both on the Van Damme section of AV sales...

13. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, they mean the same thing - but of course you can't use the ones they list as component/RGB because they are 3xRCA to 3xRCA or BNcs - Oh dear I expect I'm confusing you more here! Just get the VGA to 3xRCA lead!!

Simon

14. mowbli

mowbli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No mate, that makes sense and is what I thought, I just wondered why they don't call them all RCA's or component...

15. Roswell

Roswell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon. I think I see what you mean. I'll need a JS box to convert Sky RGB to component and switch that unchanged through the Yamaha 750, and all the other inputs like X-Box and DVD can go into the amp and be converted there if necessary to component out to the screen. I can use a BNC Component/SVHS/Composite board in the plasma and leave the vga free. Is that right?

Would this give me what I want, which is to be able to use any other input - SVHS, composite or vga - on a split screen or PIP? (Bypassing the Yamaha amp of course. I suppose the amp only has one video out?)

16. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On your 1st paragraph - yes - it would leave the VGA socket free as an input.
    On your second paragraph - I'm straying into an area I'm not sure about as I don't use the combined board on my plasma - I think you are restricted on the number of inputs to it though (ie you can't use all the connections on the board you have to use one of them - I THINK - other members who actually use the board would be better guides).

Simon