1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 picture quality?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Welshman, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Welshman

Welshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just been watching Matrix 2 on the pw6 and have noticed on the darker images such as shadows and dark clothing there lots of spots visible when about 4-5 feet away. Does anyone know if this is standard on the Pw6 or are all my settings out of whack? Ive currently got an RGB scart connection via IXos shielded lead

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Is it the same on your other connections (with black backgrounds) i.e. component etc.? If you only have scart try the vga connection with you pc / laptop and set your background to black - if it's ok you have may have to reseat your scart board (I had the same with my component board).

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I noticed the same thing when I first tried the Matrix, I recommend you connect your DVD via a component (YPbPr) and use the Digital Video Essentials calibration DVD or similar, the difference is amazing! Indeed, when running the DVE setup for brightness there is a test with 3 black bars, the darkest being the "absence of light" setting or something similar, your supposed to set the brightness to the same level as that bar. I ran the same calibration through RGB scart and that bar isn't even there full stop, not even with the brightness turned up! Summet to do with clipping, there where many other tests with coloured bars where the colour wasn't present through Scart, it really made be realise how much better the quality of a component picture is...

Now I have calibrated the screen and use component the difference is more than noticable, especially in darker shadowed areas.

Although having said that 4 feet is still pretty close to a 42" TV, for movies I'm normally around 7-8 feet away, although I have been around 4 feet and although the interpolation is more visible, it's still more than acceptable and much better through component.

If you haven't got the component connection and don't want to fork out on it, try improving your cables, either getting a higher quality scart, or using the VGA port...

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Are these spots green, perchance? If so it's a known issue, though usually you need to be close enough to mist the glass before you see them.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the exact same thin on my PWD6. I have tried all manner of settings, and while it reduces the problem, it is always clearly visible close up.

As soon as I get 6ft+ back from the screen, the dots disappear, and the image is very sharp from my 12ft viewing distance.

This appears to be something that happens on most of the current plasmas, but with the Panasonic particularly badly affected.

I personally think that the screen more than makes up for it, by having the best overall plasma picture for under £2.5k.

It is probably not the screen to go for if your living room dictates a close viewing distance.

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't have this problem with my PW6. I did at first when I had the dvd player set to auto and I played a R1 disc. I would get all manor of problems in the blacks and had to drop the contrast etc right down (-15 or so). However with thh dvd player set to pal60 everything is fine, blacks are black with no dancing pixels and contrast etc set to around -1. DVD is connected via component.

7. Welshman

Welshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No these are genrally dark spots in shadows or on blacks on screen. On a separate note do you know if the VGA can be used to display DVD Ive tried but only get a green picture. Are there any settings I need to alter?

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Welshman,

Set-up. Picture component / RGB. Change the setting. Should cure it.

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering