1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pw6 or pw7?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cboy, Dec 30, 2004.

1. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hey guys just to clarify things in my own mind, alot of u are opting for the pw6 rather than the newer 7 series why is this?
    is it because the 7 series isnt gonna be fully hd compatible (even though no1 knows for sure when ntl r gonna start broadcasting hd signals), or is it because u can put rgb to vga with the 6 series?

if the only main advantage is that the 7 series comes in silver i might aswell buy the 6 series coz if theres no point in buying the dvi and hdmi boards then wats the point in getting the 7 series?

could any1 clear this matter up for me pls....

i'm deffo buying either the 6 or 7 series just torn between the 2 (42") models

oh yeah and wat do u guys think of the new viera range for all the trimmings that come with it? is it worth all that money?
    thanx in advance

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    6 series was silver as well (no stock left tho)
    PW7 will take RGBHV via VGA (VGA is RGBHV) and will work with converters e.g. JS box
    what PW7 wont do is accpet YUV component video via the built in VGA port
    PW6 is very similar but is a bit cheaper available for £1549 delivered with mount and input board..
    6 Series has DVi input option but not HDMI (Dvi board accepts same signals)
    by Veira do you mean the TH-42PE30B???
    PS it will be along time before ntl offer HD services Docklands is still analogue cable

3. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanx for ure speedy reply, yes i do mean the new vieras *TH-42PE30B*
    i dont quite like the way its got freeview and all that crud intergrated but obviously suits some people if they havent got sky or ntl digi boxes
    so if i buy a pw7 42" i have the set up as follows -
    ntl digi - scart
    dvd - component out
    xbox - scart - rgb (splits into 3 wires i think its composite)
    how would u set this up wat cables splitter boxes and such i need all the info as poss m8 as i'm writing it all down to order from av-sales

4. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi, horneydragon, so on the PW7, if you add a component board i presume the lack of component support through VGA port would then not be an issue right?

just trying to clarify myself the pros and cons of paying the extra dosh for a PW7.

the only thing i hear is it's slightly more resiliant to screenburn, but this wasn't such an issue with the PW6 anyway.

is that it?

so why didn't they just call the PW7 a PW6SBX or something. it doesn't seem to add anything extra and as some people have said, it's connectivity is worse.

i get confused. can you clarify the situation. older threads don't seem to get to the bottom line.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panasonic change the model number so they can alter the trade price without offering stock compensation to dealers who have stock of the older model usually that they paid more for........nice eh
    The dropped component support from VGA on PW7 to increase sales of component boards (what scpetic might say) then promptly dumped the stock of RCA component boards cause "no one was buying them" IDIOTS at panny UK
    PAnny have always been good re screen burn but still a potential problem (with all phoshur displays) PW7 adds HDMI support #(limited resolutions) and SDi and Cat5 video boards are due HDMI boards are under review as they dont quite do what is needed.....

6. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    We have seen a number of posts asking which to choose and yet new posts appear asking the same thing. You are looking for a clear cut answer, and the fact is, there isn't one! You have to make your own decision based on your own needs and feelings/gut instinct.

Personally I chose a PW6 because it was tried and tested. Others will choose a PW7 because it has support for other boards and has some new processing features, or maybe just because they want the latest model.

Jonathan