1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pw6 or Pw7 PQ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nicklang, Oct 28, 2004.

1. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Is the PQ any better on the PW7 than the PW6, the reason I ask is I'm about to part with the cash and want to know if the PW7 is worth the extra £450?
    If anyone can advise that would be qreat. :thumbsup:
    Nick

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the PWD6, and I can't see how the PW7 can be any better
    I am totally satisfied with mine, save the money and buy one.

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PW7 is the latest generation glass plus some extra electronics. According to panasonic it's supposed to be more resistent to screen burn. Plus it has an HDMI input board for future compatibility. Set against that is (a) an extra £450 and (b) the VGA input doesn't take a component signal (should you need it for that).

I bought the PW7 because (a) it's the latest model (can't be any worse?) and (b) the Mrs. specified a silver bezel! If I wasn't married I'd probably have gone for a PW6 and put the £450 as a decent start towards another plasma in three years time :)

ZedZed

4. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers guys I think I'll get the PW6.

5. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ... want to know if the PW7 is worth the extra £450? ...

The difference is now down to £243 if you buy from AV-Sales with Barclaycard and use their Price Promise to match the current cheapest online price at

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=6352

I'm hoping to see that difference close even more before I get my PW7 in the new year - although I may be very tempted to go ahead if the black PW7 pricing comes in at a difference of £100 or so

:)

6. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, After reading loads on the forum this is my first post :thumbsup:

I too am in the same position as Nick, PW6 or PW7 :rolleyes:

Zed, I was thinking about adding an I-scan Ultra and running the sky through RGB converter to component and DVD component to the I-scan and then to the plasma. Does the I-scan connect to the plasma with the VGA input, if so you state the VGA input on the PW7 does not accept a component feed, so what I was thinking wouldn't work then?

I Just got this thing in my head to get the I-scan to further improve the picture quality. Has anyone on the forum gone this route and noticed a huge leap in picture quality.

The plasma will mainly be for sky viewing and the occasional DVD, I normally watch DVD on my projector.

Thanks guys and look forward to your views.

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You are correct - you could not input onto the VGA connector - you'd need to get a component board (pick that as your free one from AV-sales :thumbsup: ).

Not done it myself - but I'm thinking about doing that too - esp. since iScanUltras seem to be available second hand for silly prices. Of course, then I'd need to exchange my RGB to VGA adapter (plus £50 vga cable!) for an RGB to Component adapter! I'm pretty happy with my PQ from telewest box via VGA adapter - so not sure it's worth the extra £200 I'd have to spend! :rolleyes:

ZedZed

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The iscan, I assume you are meaning the ultra, outputs as VGA or component, take your pick. You need to use a component converter for any RGB devices, it has 2 x component, s x s-vid and 2 x composite inputs. S-vid very handy for a PS2 etc.
    The HD you need no RGB converters, it accepts RGB+sync or component through the same connectors, and outputs as VGA, component or DVI (don't go there with panasonic if I were you) The lack of converters knocks £140 off the price differential, and you get pixel perfect scaling and audio delay too. We still sell the odd ultra though, a good way to connect all your bits and pieces, and achieve a 1 cable connection to the screen.

9. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Zed & Maw for giving me yet a nother option!!!

So with the PW7 get the I-scan HD with the component board on the plasma.
    This way I will have one cable going to the plasma, "cable will need to be 10mtrs in length with VGA to Component??.

Then feed DVD-component,
    Sky- is this RGB to component cable?,
    PS2-S

A single cable feed is what I am after as the plasma will be mounted on the wall with cables hidden. Must get this right first time round.

Also, how easy is the HD to set up and will the 10mtr run to the plasma cause any lose in quality.

As Zed has been thinking about going down the I-scan route also, Is there a big difference in picture quality with this baby connected and set up properly as I see alot of the forum have not taken the plung and added this.

Thanks for your reply, are you AV-Sales, if so great site! if not oops

Cheers

10. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Can't it ?
    Pioneer owners might say otherwise !!!

11. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Forgive my ignorance ... how to do you an RGB+sync signal from a sky/telewest scart socket to the iScan HD? Is this just a normal RGB scart cable - or is something else required?

ZedZed

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Iscan HD and PW7 coonection is quite different from Iscan Ultra and PW6 connection. 10m is a long video cable and is potentialy going to cause an issue if it must be 10m then i suggest you run everything into Iscan HD and the to PW7 via a very very good VGA cable and i would reconmend you try and get the distance down to 7m or less and then you have the option to use the DVi ouput of the Iscan HD to a Digital input board on plasma.
    IF you are looking at the iscan ultra and PW6 combo then cabling is easier but running one cable to screen that is 10m long is in my experience too limiting if you must run one physical cable then i reconmend either QED CX5CV 5 core video cable or van damme equivalent http://www.van-damme.com/range.htm# mini red series

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    the iscan HD is fine on VGA, and OK at 10m, though if you are twitchy you could go VGA over cat5, it's a tiny wire too that way. 130 or so for baluns, but you'd pay that for a good 10m VGA

15. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ZedZed I think I may have confused you slightly with my earlier thread. The iScan I was talking about was the iScan Pro. As Joe said previously if you buy this one you will need a Component Converter. If you go for the iScan HD (more expensive but better) you don't need a converter you just buy one of these instead:

http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av19.html

It has a forth lead from the scart which carries the sync signal and would be plugged into the composite input on the scaler.

Also just to clarify on the output from the scaler. The best output from the scaler is via a VGA lead (like you already have) through the VGA output into the VGA input on the Plasma. Now on most scalers the VGA output can output either an RGB or component signal (RGB seems preferred). Obviously you need to make sure any scaler bought will do this because otherwise the inbuilt VGA socket on the plasma will not work as it doesn't accept component.

16. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Think the experts got in before me :) , probably best :p

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    but loose all chance of digital connectivity with 7m cable over Dvi you can still utilise the digital pass through on iscan for HDMI/Dvi DVD player into HDMI/DVi board on 7 series panel....... giving you one cable with digial connectivity potential

Or am i talking cats and rabbits????

18. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok if I'm honest I could get away with 8mtrs due to rack being at the other end of the room. Rack holds DVD player that feeds projector, hence would like to keep it in that position. :rolleyes:

I think the HD is more future proof, ok a bit dearer but what the hell if the picture is as good as is gets. I think I need to demo the two together :smashin: Just leave the misses at home when I hand over the cash :D

19. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK ... to clarify (last time - I promise!) ... I could get an iScan (either HD or Ultra) and output from the iScan as RGB into the VGA cable on my PW7 and I'd be fine? (since it can accept an RGB signal - just not a component signal). And this is the route that gives best PQ?

If I go the "ultra" route I'd need an RGB to component converter for my telelwest signal ... and if I go the "HD" route I wouldn't - just an RGB to 4xphono cable like the one suggested.

Phew! And I thought that after I bought my PW7 I'd be finished thinking about all this stuff :) Just wait til I tell the Mrs. I might be buying some more kit ..... :suicide:

ZedZed

20. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its only money Zed, its what we go to work for :laugh:

I think I'm getting all this :lesson:

21. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes that's it :thumbsup: BUT just ask HD, Joe, Maw, Liam or Gordon or someone that has one that it definately outputs in RGB and not just component otherwise you will also have to pay for a VGA board as they will accept component via VGA. :smashin:

EDIT: Just reread MAWs post confirming the ultra (don't forget I was talking about the pro for silly money) does output RGB through VGA.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ZedZed as you are local to Joe suggest you go for a demo he can advise you on the scaler market and options. PTG you have a PJ? in that case i suggest you see if you have a scaler capable of running both hence giving you the best performance from both machines... I thnik Iscan HD can do Dual ouputs but best speak to Gordon/Joe if you are oooop North and MAW if you are down south..... You could run video to both at 720p via DVi/Hdmi with what i am thinking of... Very good idea..... HMDI/DVi will do 8m run just...........(With good cables) speak to your local guys and get a demo of the HD on a PHD6 or PHD7 when its out and perhaps at home demo for PJ...

23. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic idea,cheers Horny I will look in to it :thumbsup: