1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 or 7 OR a 42' HD OR a 50' HD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lorenzo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you had a fairly open and flexible budget, abnd knowing what we now know, would you ..

1. go for an 'as future proof as possible' HD set (either 42 or 50), or ..

2. settle for a PW6 or 7

Spent ages looking through related threads and whilst there are reams of text on the PW6 and 7 and HD I couldn't find one to address this question.

I presume if I went for a HD model I am adding at least £1K to the purchase?

I am also after a new AV Amp and fancy the yamaha Z9 which at ~ £3K will eat a big hole in my budget. I think a PW7 and a decent AV amp will satisfy me for several years and I can then move the plasma into another room and replace it with whatever turned out to be the right choice.

If I did go for a 50' what would you guys suggest I look at?

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i had the money for it i would buy the Pioneer PDP-505XDE no questions asked!

It got everything you need when it comes to Sky HDTV requirements and everything else.

Just feed it digital all the way and you will be happy, analogue not so good i heard.

3. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one - I'll check it out :smashin:

Quick check ... it's cheaper than the 50' Viera Panny and more expensive than the basic models although they have a much higher resolution according to the spec on the AV sales site 3000:1 vs 1100:1.

I only need the display as will use my AV set up for sound. Does that change the options?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They are a bit of a pain in the ass installation wise, the media box is another thing on your rack, and the scarts are a bit crappy, but it's sky HD proof now, as you say. Your alternative is to buy a PW6 cheap, an HDCP compatible scaler, install all cables for the future, and keep it for 2 years. Or else trust that technology will bail you out on the HD7 screen. There will be devices that enable copy protected content to be displayed on analogue input displays, or nobody (well only XDE owners) will buy skyHD. They won't be that upset, it's digital copying that gets them hot under the collar. All of this fuss assumes that 1 dodgy sky press release was correct, and the interface will be HDMI only. All existing HD set top boxes have analogue outputs too.

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The press release did not say that HDMI would be the only interface. What it stated is that most of the content would only be viewable over HDMI / DVI-HDCP. And by that we are talking about the majority of Sky's output (for example, movie and sports channels).

The implication is that it is determined by the content provider (just as the choice of 720p or 1080i is), and on that basis Sky can only talk about their content. There may well be component outputs on the HD set top boxes, and broadcasts by the likes of the BBC (as and when they occur) may well allow for unprotected output.

But then Sky is only part of the issue. Do you see Hollywood studios rushing to support high definition discs (HD-DVD / Blu-Ray) that don't implement copy protection?

6. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lorenzo

Been having a similar debate with myself over the last two months!

For what it's worth I have gone for the Panny TH50PHD7, after comparing at a local dealer, prefered the picture and look over the Pioneer (given cable/setup allowances) and will live with the HDMI 50Hz issues in the belief that there will be a solution from either Panasonic (not holding my breath) or third parties (almost certainly) by the time SKY HD arrives in 2006.

Set it up this weekend, stunning results, even the dreaded SKY+ looks watchable throught the JS RGB->VGA box!

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The problem with the third party (generic - ie. DVI->VGA) solutions is that they are theoretically illegal. It's not too hard to foresee a future where the studios will at least try to shut such manufacturers down.

8. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone - good advice :smashin:

I would prefer to go for a PW6 or 7 and put the extra cash towards a Yammy Z9. If you feel I will still be able to watch HD on these then I may just risk it and go for one of those. By the sounds of things the 50' sets aren't as 'future safe' as I was lead to believe anyway.

One thing did bother me though ...

.. as I will be mainly using the plasma ofr Sky and the occasional DVD (for the kids) as I will still use the projector for Box Office stuff so to speak.

What is wrong with the Sky picture and will HD address this?

9. nak

nak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi there,

I have had four personal demos on the PW7 and it is the best PQ for me.
    I was just checking the PW7 pdf and Panny says that the screen does accept 1080/50i and 720/50p signals through other boards (not the new HD one though). Confused, you bet.

Can you not buy a modified cable (eg. HD D-pin to BNC component??)

Please advise.

:beer:

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes we know it can take the signal on several of it's analogue inputs, and it's very good too. It cannot accept the signal digitally, via DVI or HDMI, that is the issue. There may be a device to do this for you, not too expensive, but there are theoretical legal implications. But just like nobody gets prosecuted now for making a cassette tape of a CD for a mate, only for distibuting it digitally on the internet, they may not bother to close this loophole.

11. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Picture quality varies hugely on SKY, and the bigger the display, the more noticable it becomes. SKYs policy of cramming as many channels as possible into their bandwidth does come at a price. HD will definately address this, but a SKY HD roll out will undoubtedly be on a limited number of channels for a premium price..... so you are still left with the majority of content in SD.

If you are viewing the current SKY output on a 50" screen, my advise would be to go down the JS RGB to VGA route (have compared this to the scart board on the Panny and it is significantly better IMHO) and don't skimp on the cables. I used to think that many Hi-Fi/AV 'buffs' disappeared up their own backside on cable issues but have compared the leads on my current setup with cheaper alternatives, and found the price worth paying.

Viewing distance also plays a part.... the further away you sit the less noticable it becomes!

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll second all of that, plus with a 50" and the falling price of scalers, the iscan HD is now £760, they are getting into the 'viable' range for more and more people. Scalers do wonders for the lower bandwidth signals, sorting out the mess. Obviously they can't replace missing information, they have no magic wand, but overall they offer a big improvement, in addition to being a video hub, so only 1 cable to screen is needed, and no video board.

13. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you manage to make or acquire such a device, for personal use, then nobody is going to hunt you down and prosecture you.

But there is a good chance that the studios will try and shut down anyone commercially manufacturing and distributing such a unit. They have to at least be seen to be making an effort in that regard.

I'm not going to rule out the possiblity of finding a solution, but it seems to me that it is foolhardy to expect there to be one.

If someone is confused about the situation, then the simplest advice is that no existing Panasonic screen is ready for, or will be made compatible with, forthcoming HD services (be that Sky, or HD-DVD / Blu-Ray). If you can live with that, buy one - but don't assume that because they are quite popular somebody *must* provide a solution.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Is that a surgical procedure? Does it hurt?

15. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Only if you forget your legal briefs.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Some sort of support pants I take it? My spelling frequently goes to pot on here too.

17. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have seen from another thread that I am leaning towards a delayed purchase, maybe of an 8 series Panny, and making do with a low definiton hole in the wall for subsequent cabling for now :D

I feel it would be folly to buy now considering all of the unanswered questions and that comes from your typical gadget man who 'must have the new thing as soon as he hears about it'.

The prices on the PW6 and 7 are great and I am sorely tempted but as always with a bit of reading and expert advice form the guys here I found myself creeping up the ladder towards Viera's and 50' displays and HD theoretically compatible components and my prediction is that they will all be at least 25-30% cheaper come the New Year and even less when the new series of truly HD compatible screens / panels are launched and the public become aware.

A sad day but thanks to you all here I feel happy in my decision to delay my purchase :smoke: