Pw6 Hd

beerglass007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ive had the Panny pw6 for 3 years now and thinking about an upgrade.
Do I upgrade to the high def 9 series or even look at a 1080p panel?

I have just got smellywest HD box and feeding it via a component cable.
I have read all the problems with HDCP and not using a HDMI socket. 8(

The xbox 360 and HD content looks amazing on 720p setting and to be honest looks as good as my 26" samsung HD LCD TV.

I know my PW6 isnt a HD panel as such and scales the picture but reading alot of peoples comments on here, people have said its still a very good SD and HD panel.

My question is.....

Should I upgrade to a 9 HD series or wait for more 1080p screens to appear.

It seems like the market is changing quite quickly and more and more 1080p panels coming out.

I dont want anything bigger than 42" and currently love the PW6 but know its going to be limited soon without HDMI and not really a HD screen.

Has anyone come from a PW6 to a PHD9 and used HD on both ? Is there a real difference when running HD content?
I know the SD is gonna be about the same

Many Thanks

MEP has both a PWD7 and a PHD8 and has posted previously on the differences. That's probably something you could search for.

Frankly if your happy with the PW6 and you don't want to go up in size then why worry about an upgrade just yet. You have a very capable screen, your happy with it and you do see benefit from HD (smellywest) stick with it.

It would appear that 1080p is still very expensive and offers little benefit for anything under a 50 inch set and there are apparently very few or no 1080p sources and won't be for some time.

Perhaps banking the money you have for an upgrade now, will get you something much better when 1080p becomes more commonplace?

I've answered your pm and i'd stick with the pwd6 for now! the ph9 is a great screen but the pwd6 gives it a real run for its money with HD/SKY etc.

I second that! stick with your PW6, unless you've got money to burn - with Sky HD it kicks a**!

I second that! stick with your PW6, unless you've got money to burn - with Sky HD it kicks a**!
I have exactly the same situation , ie got a PW6 maybe after the Pdp507xd.
Are you saying there are people who pay the extra £10 a month for SKY HD only to run it through their PW6??? (and it kicks a**)
Can it really look any better than non HD material ,being a non HD screen?

I have exactly the same situation , ie got a PW6 maybe after the Pdp507xd.
Are you saying there are people who pay the extra £10 a month for SKY HD only to run it through their PW6??? (and it kicks a**)
Can it really look any better than non HD material ,being a non HD screen?

It may be a non-HD screen however the excellent scaling abilities of the panel give fantastic results. I use my 360 through it every day and really enjoy the pic!

Dont get me wrong I LOVE my PW6 but I really didnt expect anyone to advocate shelling out an extra tenner a month to "not" watch SKY HD on a non HD screen - would it really be worthwhile?

the PWD6 is better with HD than many s called HD sets more pixels dont make a better picture i dont advocate sky HD in anyway but if you want it and have a PWD6 enjoy the panel can handle the signal and produce a far better image than many newer highr res screens its not all resolution thats marketing BS its far more about compression and bandwidth

wow , cheers for that info. Could be tempted to hang on to my old timer PW6 for a while longer now - and see what is around the corner after I get my PS3 in March (hopefully):thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom