1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 faulty

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jwillans, Apr 8, 2005.

1. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a new PW6 which I've had setup since Sunday. This morning I tried switching it on and it immediately went to standby mode. I've tried switching it on and off a few times but with the same result. I've tried pressing buttons on the remote and the display itself, but with no success. Does this suggest that the screen is faulty? Is this symptomatic of a known issue?

James

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    power supply fault, they usually fix it pretty quick.

3. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well a Panasonic service engineer took the set away on Saturday, at the time he thought it would be a 3 day job to get the part, fit it and return the set back to me. He has now phoned this morning to let me know that it is going to take up to *two weeks" to get the part from Panasonic. It goes without saying that I'm really annoyed that after only 5 days of use, I'm without the plasma for effectively what is three weeks. This is the known power supply problem, so I'm not impressed that Panasonic have not got plenty of parts to hand to repair this.

I rang someone at Panasonic this morning to express my dissatisfaction, he said that he would look it into it - but as yet I've not heard back.

James

4. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its within 28 days of you receiving it, I would demand a replacement for a brand new one!!

A repair after 5 days use??? Your having a giraffe! :eek:

5. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    send it all back mate and get a replacement!!! its within your rights

6. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or better yet - get a replacement and send ME the faulty one ;)

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Usual Panasonic story I'm afraid. Get on it right now or you'll be without screen for weeks, months even.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    with a failue in 5 days i would have pushed the retailer (thats who your contract is with) for a new unit, Baron Mcann will take an age to sort will probably loose it and then one day a courier will appear out of the blue with it repaired............... normally PSU's blow up after 9-13 months rare for them to pop after 5 days was the screen brand new? where did you buy it?

9. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't be BeMac any more as far as I am aware they are no longer used.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :clap: they still do LG (i knew panny were farming it out to dealers really slowly) so who took the panel? it really should not take that long to get a PSU board...............

11. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam - I've contacted Panasonic yesterday and someone said they would get back to me but no one got back to me, I rang towards the end of the afternoon again asking why no one had got back to me. They promised to get back to me again, but so far no luck.

As a retailer, who do you suggest I should speak to? Do you think is it genuinely the case that they are missing these parts, or are they spinning me a story?

James

12. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD - I bought the TV about 15 days before it failed. I was away on holiday for the first 10 days, I then set it up on my return and it failed after 5 days of very light use. Because it was less than 28 days old (still is!) I had the option of either asking the retailer to change it (RS) or getting it repaired by a service agent. I chose to get it repaired for a couple of reasons 1) When I bought the TV I had to arrange for my father to come over to and help me transport it, I wanted to avoid doing this again; 2) Given that this is a common fault, I was hoping that the repair would be with a better part, a second new set may have the same problems. When I made this decision, I was told that the turn around time for the repair was 3-4 days *not* what is now going to be 3 weeks (assuming that they don't take longer than 2 more weeks to source the part).

Not impressed.

James

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Little from column A, little from column B. The customer service dept is severely under-funded for the number of plasma screens Panasonic have in circulation, presumably another area where costs are cut to keep the Panasonic screens nice and cheap. I tend to believe absolutely nothing I am told by these people. However, there are widely documented stories of Panasonic PSU's failing in the first few days, duff batch was assumed when it was rife (on 6th gen panels), but I'm thinking sub-standard (read cheaper!) parts used, again presumably to keep that price down. This may be the cause of the lack of parts as so many are needing to be produced to replace the large number of faulty ones. There again they may be taking all this time because it's cheaper to hire one engineer than a team of engineers, and there is only so much a man can do in a day.

I would also be interested to know if anyone here has actually received the loan screen their warranty allows for them during warranty repairs?? I know my mother didn't and in the end they had her screen for 3 months, this not for a PSU failure either (about 6 months into use, thick black vertical stripe appeared in the picture). The excuse being that it took that long to ship the required part in from Japan... They did reset the 1yr warranty from the point of delivery of the repaired screen, but this is little consolation.

I would raise the question with your retailer. A friendly chat being far more productive than an angry letter or what have you. Just phone them up, explain that the eta of the repair has now been pushed to ludicrous levels and you would like a replacement screen as yours is classified as Dead On Arrival. You may very well be able to persuade them to sort it out despite your screen already going in.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Wise words, the nromal pattern i have experienced is it takes several faxes to get i collected, when it does they have naff all idea give it a week ring them they have no idea of what is happening or even where it is, fax and ring everyday for another week, they will swear blind they never had it........ then it will mysterioulsy arrive back...we started collecting them from customers and making BM come out to our workshop and do them under the supervision of our service manager........................we supplied our own loan units where possible, and we even had one fixed by them and returned with a big no fault found sticker on it........

15. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should point out that the service agent has been excellent. He was prompt in collecting the TV and has kept me informed throughout the process, he has also offered to lend me a loan TV during the repair period.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well thats alot better than BM ever did for me so just be pateint, although i would have gone for a swap out....

17. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I've just had my th37pa20 repaired for the second time by baron mccan for the same problem, this time was a bit of a nightmare as they picked it up and brought it back after two weeks and it had the same fault!
    They took it back and then brought me a loan pw5 but I had a to do a fair bit of chasing. In all it took nearly a month to get it fixed.
    Just to let you know that the power boards that they use to replace the faulty ones are exactly the same and are also liable to have the same fault.
    I'm on my second power board in 13 months.

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    pardon my ignorance...but who or what is the Baron reference?

19. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0