PW6 connections

nicklang

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm most likely going to buy a Pannasonic TH-42PWD6 from AV-Sales for £1850 with a free terminal board. However as a complete newbie to plasma I was looking for some advice on what to buy to connect my sources to the plasma. I want to connect the following:

-SONY DVD with a RGB scart and S-Video out (no composite out and it's not progressive scan)
-VHS recorder with ordinary scart out
-Freeview box with ordinary scart out (also has a serial port on the back, don't know what thats for?)

What terminal boards and/or boxes and/or cables do I need to buy to get the most out of it?
Also when I factor in the cost of all the cables, boards etc would there be a better screen for the money out there?

Also I am thinking of changing to a progressive scan DVD player with composite out would this be a good investment cash for quality wise?

I'm realy sorry about the list of questions but I am a complete novice in the area of plasma and I am greatfull for any help you can offer.

All the best
Nick

Connect all scart sources to a Quintro and then from the quintro to a JS Technology scart to VGA box, then vga cable to the vga input on the panel.

Go for a component board on the panel too -that way if you do upgrade to a progressive DVD player you can connect it directly using component cables.

(point to note - plasmas take an interlaced signal and automatically convert the signal to progressive - so if you're upgrading your DVD player you need to make sure it's a good one and outputting a better quality progressive signal than your plasma can.)

ZedZed

Hi,

Cheers for the advice I needed it as for the sound, I have a Marantz SR6200 with Missions for the six surrounds and am waiting on a REL Quake to arrive to replace my old MShort sub.

Where is the best place to buy the boxes and/or the connectors?

Is all scart inputs to Quintro box then into a JS scart to VGA and then into Plasma going to give me the best picture possible?

Cheers

I'm not sure about the sound settings, but your video connections with give you the best picture quality you can get (given that you only have RGB scart connections from your dvd/freeview/video recorder.

Of course, if you can daisy chain your devices through each other (e.g. you have a "scart in" on at least two of your boxes) then you don't need the Quintro switch.

ZedZed

My Video has two scarts on it and so does the freeview box (one is marked AUX the other is TV), how do I tell whether the scarts on the Freeview box are input and hence suitable for daisy chaining?

Also about the JS box does this improve the signal somehow?
I'm asking because I notice that QED make a Q-SYNC scart=>VGA cable so are some better than others?
(http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/qsync.html)

Cheers

Get the JS plasma to VGA box
SCART provides the sync as part of the composite video at 0.3v
VGA monitors (plasma/lcd/pc) like seperate Horiz and Vert syncs at 0.5v to 2v
VGA monitors HATE macrovision on the syncs

The JS box provides seperate macrovision free syncs at the correct voltage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom