PW6 and surfing the web

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jrrs1, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jrrs1

jrrs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone use a PW6 to surf the web from , the 854*480 ( or whatever) iv'e been told gives you a poor view?
    I intend to use the panny to surf the web ( occasioanlly) but certainly not all the time.[ i'm talking about <30mins a day maybe)
    Its been said that the 480 res will be dying out and 1024x1024 prices will come down?
    I'd really like to take the AV-sales offer for the panny PW6 at £1580 delivered but not if the PC picture will be poor and in a few months time i can get a high res good screen for similar money?
    Dilema?

Help appreciated.
    Cheers John

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think you'll see HD panels at that sort of price for quite a while yet. In fact, I'd be surprised to see the PW7 at that price within the next 6 months.

Sure - if you wait long enough you'll see HD panels going for 1.5k - but by then the new latest and greatest thing will be along!

ZedZed

p.s. I've also read that surfing the web on an SD panel is pretty naff. (switch your PC monitor back to 640*480 and you're not far off what you'll see).

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The scaling on a PW is way better than the LCD on your desk. It's not that bad. If you can send it 1280x720 that will be best in my experience, and the desktop will be undistorted too, the resolution is the same shape as the panel.

4. jrrs1

jrrs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so let me get this right:

I can still use the panny PW6 ( the great deal one)
    And send 1280*720 from my pc video card ( maybe using 'powerstrip?') over VGA or DVI cables and the panny will be happy with it and the display look oK?

remember i may want to surf for an hour but no more than that at a time, likley to be less.....

I assume this issue will also be related to me playing a dvd on the pc, freeview, etc?.

Excuse my ignorance and inexperience but i'm about to order the pw6 and getting nervous that my plan to run EVERYTHING via my PC is a bad choice!

Cheers John

5. jrrs1

jrrs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any video card reccomendations much appreciated.... budget =<£100

6. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a PC set up on my last plasma which was a cheapo Goodmans GTV42P2 (same as Techwood) before it went back. Running the desktop at 1280*768 was perfectly usable and this panel was the same resolution as the PW6. I would expect the PW6 to be better as it is a higher quality unit overall.

I had an ATI Radeon based card in my PC and it could output 1280*768 (maybe it was 720) natively so no need for powerstrip.

7. jrrs1

jrrs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys... I also spoke to 'hayes'? ( if thats how he spells it) at AV sales and he reassured me all would be ok.
    Cheers John