1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 Advice For New User

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Effigy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Effigy

Effigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading lots of opinions from everyone on this forum I went out and bought the Panasonic PW6. When I first got it home (as it only had the VGA input) I tried watching a couple of DVDs via my PC thru VGA and the picture quality was stunning.
    Couple of days ago I got the Scart board and here is where my queries begin.
    1. The picture quality via my DVD player (albeit very cheap Daewoo) is not anywhere near the VGA from my PC..any thoughts if this is just the DVD player or any better way to connect?

2. Also on SKY the pQ is acceptable (not great) but I have noticed that when I watch either sky or dvd that there is a visible sort of artificial look to broader areas of the same colour like a painted wall, hard to describe but sometimes looks like a sort of scaling of shades rather than a solid colour.Mostly apparant on darker colours (but black is fine). Is this normal?
    Thanks for any advice folks...bit obsessed with PQ and it's annoying me a bit:)

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    The "false contouring" that you are seeing is a typical plasma problem. Some panels show it more than others but with good calibration and good connections it can be reduced. The JS Technology RGB to VGA converter works really well with the PW6 and would be my choice rather than the scart board.

3. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or if your DVD has component out then you can connect it directly to the VGA socket with the appropriate cable. I suspect that this will give you significantly better quality.

James

4. Effigy

Effigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks guys...I am beginning to regret not going for the JS Converter box in the first place. As far as the component to VGA direct, I thought I read somewhere else that this was not possible on the PW6 without a converter.

If it is then that may be another option.

Piers, as far as the calibration goes, what is the best way to go about this?

Many thanks for the assistance.

5. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that the component to VGA *is* possible on the PW6, but not on the PW7. At least I hope this is the case because this is the route I'm planning on taking.

James

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Effigy,

Check my sig below for full details of ISF calibration.

7. Effigy

Effigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much appreciated..thanks again folks. Maybe can then get on with watching it instead of constantly tweaking!! :)

8. Effigy

Effigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more thing James....do you know of any dealers who do Component to VGA cables...been searching around and they seem few and far between.

Thanks.

9. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would check for certain that you can do this, as I've said my understanding is that you can. Cable is available from here scroll down about 3/4 of the page.

James

10. Effigy

Effigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone connecting a dvd player using an RGB Component >> VGA directly to the Panasonic PW6 VGA port?

Would like to go with this option but am getting differing opionions about whether it works or not , some saying would need a converter others not. Any thoughts much appreciated before I waste any cash on cables.

Thanks

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    a 3 RCA (5 RCA cable will also work using 3 of the five) to 15pin cable using YUV (YPbPr) outputs of DVD player to plasma will work fine on PW6,PWD6,PHW6 plasmas

12. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EDITED BY MODERATOR - please keep post like this to the classifieds section.

13. Effigy

Effigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Hornydragon...much appreciated.

14. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one more thing - I've had the panny since october and tried several dvd-players to give a good picture. avoid the faroudja dcdi at all cost!!!! I've had the samsung 745 for the last few days and I'm over the moon. the panasonic s97 (it will be on ebay shortly) had the worse case of macroblocking. the picture on the samsung connected via component and upscaled to 768p on the pw6 is outstanding and the best I've seen (you have to make it multiregion to upscale over component - easy to follow steps on www.videohelp.com). another snag - the topfield satellite receivers don't look very good on the pw6 either (I've tried the 4000 and the 5500 over component and scart-to-vga-converter); I went for a humax 8000 in the end - the pictures are lovely.
    just thought I safe someone from the pw6-hell; with that tv it is all about careful matching.
    good luck
    thomas