1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW5 signal check?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sarll, Feb 19, 2003.

1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    HI

I have a Panasonic th37pw5 and was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to confirm onscreen (by menus or otherwise) exactly what input the panel is receiving?? e.g. I have a progressive scan dvd player (limit) and wanted to confirm that the panel is displaying a progressive picture or not!

Any help much appreciated

Marcus

2. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    If you are running your DVD progressive through the tuner there is a button on the remote (think its the status button, under the red standby button) that when pressed will display 16.9 wide progressive.....therefore confirming your aspect ratio and input signal. This isnt displayed when running through the RCA Componet board.

4. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    cheers but i'm not using the tuner i'm using the terminl/component board.

It just says 16:9 component

5. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I am also running direct into the screen via the RCA component board but had to buy the tuner as part of a price match from John Lewis, had it connected up briefly to see if there was any significant loss of picture quality.

My DV88+ has a status button, which displays sound mix, and output signal, guess your doesnt??

It should be failry easy to tell just by looking at the picture as to whether or not you are looking at a progressive image - try setting your DVD player to output the normal interlaced signal and the switch to prog and you should see it clear as day.

6. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    bish

Well thats just it. You can switch the dvd player from progressive to interlaced by the P/I button - I just can't notice any difference apart from an arguably crisper dvd menu.

I do possess an untrained eye - perhaps I'm not seeing the improvements.

Is it possibly as Jean-P mentioned that my plasma is already doing some processing anyway. If this is the case i don;t know how to stop my screen doing this just to compare the differences.

Regards

Marcus

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sarl

1.hold the volume button on the panell in while pressing the status button on the remote 3 times very fast (status button is the one under the power button)
    2. a menu appears highlight the icc menu and press sellect

it should say in the top right hand corner what signal is showing ie 525p 525i 625p 625i.

you must have your panell on the component imput and your dvd player on at the time of doing this

to get out press the setup button then turn the panell off

be carefull in there dont go changing things

8. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    cheers jmack - i'll give it ago