1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW5: S-Video or VGA via switcher?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by IanThornton, Nov 23, 2003.

1. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of ditching my PT600B tuner box for use with my Panny 42PW5 (see previous posts!). Keen to get some advice Re: connection options using the RCA terminal board.

The available inputs I will have with the RCA board will be

- S-Video
    - Component
    - VGA

The gadgets I want to connect are:

- DVD Player (Progressive Component)
    - Sky Digibox (SCART RGB)
    - Freeview box (SCART RGB)
    - Games Console (SCART RGB)
    - PC (occasionally)

To make life easier for the wife I want the "Just" aspect mode to be supported for Sky/Freeview along with auto-aspect switching if possible. I don't care about Just/Auto for DVD output.

I'm assuming that I am constrained to using the component input for the DVD player, which leaves me S-Video or VGA as available inputs for the Sky/Freeview/Console. The VGA input won't allow the Just or Auto aspect modes so I'm further assuming that the S-Video input is all I can work with. I'm generally happy with the quality of S-Video for TV/Games so I reckon I need to buy the following:

- SCART switcher (3:1 with full RGB support)
    - SCART/RGB -> DIN/S-Video converter

After plenty of searching on this forum, I'm thinking of the Quattro BT941 and Keene RGB/S-Video respectively to meet the above needs.

Does anyone have any comments on my conclusions or can suggest better product alternatives?

Cheers,

Ian.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Does your amp not switch video of any sort? If so what, and them makes and models of the digiboxes, to get recommends, and check the setup menus, they might output s-vid in any case via scart, some sky boxes and many freeviews do.

3. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Does your amp not switch video of any sort?"

Unfortunately it's quite old and only switches composite video (yuck!). Apart from that it's excellent and I have no need to replace it at the moment.

"... them makes and models of the digiboxes, to get recommends, and check the setup menus, they might output s-vid in any case via scart, some sky boxes and many freeviews do."

That's a good point ... I've not bought the Freeview box yet so will bear that in mind. My Sky box definitely doesn't (it's an old Grundig). If I do replace it, it will be with a Sky+ which I believe only outputs S-Video via the DIN output (unless I'm mistaken).

I guess you're saying that, with the right kit, I will still need the SCART switcher (as long as it preserves S-Video) but won't need the RGB->S-Video converter.

Ian.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Correct. If you're planning on sky+, you need a switch unit that copes with scart, s-vid, and audio of both flavours. I've seen one whilst surfing today, strangely enough.here Taht would do the biz for you, I bet it would switch dig. coax audio also, or component vid and optical. Maybe not prime, but would do until it's amp upgrade time. Then you could convert before or after the switch as needed. ie before sky+ rgb in for all, then rgb-svid converter, and after sky+, svid in for all, svid out. And if you buy a decent converter, you could stick it in the classifieds and flog it when you don't need it any more.

5. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well spotted!!! That looks absolutely perfect.

At the end of the day, I want the stunning picture quality from the DVD player which I'd get by feeding it straight into the terminal board anyway.

Ian.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just so, and in fact s-video for tv is pretty good, I've had a PW5 on my system with the exact same setup, prog scan component from DVD and digital TV, both flavours, on S-video, which looked very nice. Maybe it's possible to improve it marginally with component conversion, but at the time I had an amp which only switched s-video....