1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW5 and scaler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sniffer66, Nov 14, 2004.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,209
    Originally posted in plasma forum, sorry didnt realise this forum was here :)

Newbie post - please be kind :)

I have a Panny PW5 , Yamada 6100 DVD and Sky+

I have the DVD conneced via scart (no component) into the Sky+ and then SKY+ into a Keene RGB scart to Component converter. Leads are IXOS scart and QED component. I realise the DVD is not great but bought it for the Mpeg4 capability. I have a component board in the pw5

I've set up the dvd with DVE disk and am very happy with the picture. I'm not so happy with the pic from the Sky+. Its good but not great.

Been trawling around trying to get some info on scalers on a limited budget. I'm assuming the cheapo £80 to £150 units are pretty useless ?

I've seen some second hand Iscan's and someone on here is selling a Brite View for £175. My budget is really only approx £200 so I'm hoping someone can tell me whether I would see a real improvement in PQ on a PW5 for that kind of money ?
    Given I have the converter already then there would be no additional spend but a vga cable to the screen ?

Also are these hard to set-up and manage ?

Would appreciate some advice on this - thanks

2. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,209
    Ok, not been able to get any answers on this one yet but what I've tried to do is go away and do some reading up/research. As a newbie some of this is very confusing to me but Im trying to get my head around it !

I was very interested in the used Zinwell Brite View for sale on this forum so had a trawl through reviews and old posts. Everything I read seemed to indicate that for £160 outlay I would see a real difference in PQ from the SKY+. Therefore I've bought the box and it should be arriving tomorrow.

There are a few questions I've not been able to find answers for that I'm really hoping to get help on though ! Apologies If I have some of the terminology wrong - feel free to put me straight :)

1. I understand that the Panny PW5 is an SD screen and is displaying at 480 lines. The signal from my PAL devices is at 576 lines and therefore the Panny is scaling down the picture. Does this mean I should set the Brite View to output at 480p for the best PQ (native resolution ??) ? I assume that if I go higher the Panny will only have to scale down again ?

2. The Brite View will Line Double my picture from 15 hz to 30 hz - I understand this will result in a more stable, brighter pic. Could someone explain why/how please ??

3. Connectivity.

I currently have this but will have a number of options available

Yamada 6100 DVD -->SKY+ VCR SCART---->SKY+ RGB SCART----->Keene SCART to Component Converter--->QED scart/component cable------>Component board PW5

Should I leave this config in place and connect the QED component cable to the Brite View and then VGA out to VGA in on the PW5 ?? if so is there anything need to set VGA wise on the Panny ?

OR - SKY+ Svideo into the Brite View and leave the DVD via converted component

OR - any benefit in taking the VGA out of the Brite view into my Panny component board via a VGA/component cable (I understand these are available)

4. Calibration.
    I have a DVE disk and have calibrated the DVD - I've had to alter the settings to compromise slightly for the SKY+ due to the connections.
    I understand I can calibrate the pic using the Brite View. In this case should I feed the Brite View my calibrated pic and adjust or revert to default/factory and then adjust ??

BTW - I'm using the highest quality cables I can afford - IXOS Scart, QED Component

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer and help me out
    Many Thanks

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Try feeding higher than 480P and letting the panel downscale. This could give a better image through the PC input port.

2: This is irrelevant with a plasma. The plasma is already line doubling it's just you are hoping the scaler does it better.

3: Go component in to scaler and VGA out to plasma

4: Id set the picture menu setting to CINEMA mode on plasma and then use your DVE to calibrate again using the controls on the scaler. Then use the controls on the plasma afterwards to tweak if you still have issues.

Gordon

4. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,209
    Thanks Gordon - I'll give it a go !

5. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,209
    One more question

I'm assuming arriving at the best upscaled resolution to pass to the panny will be a matter of trying it and seeing ?
    If this is the case I take it I can do no damage by trying a high resolution ?

6. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,209
    Update for those interested. I know I'm talking low end, out of date kit here :)

I was distinctly underwhelmed when I first set up the Brite View. No matter whether I went Component or VGA I was getting loads of judder and what my untrained mind would call "motion blur". Also seeing loads of "clay face" on skin tones. No matter how I calibrated and re-calibrated I couldnt beat the PQ direct from the Pannys internal scaler !

I went away and did some research and discovered there was a chip upgrade for this unit to allow it to handle 50 Hz Pal signals as it was orginally for 60 Hz.
    The onyl supplier I could find dealing in the Brite View still were Keene. Sent them a mail and as a non existing customer wasnt expecting much TBH.
    Got an immediate mail back saying that the EPROM upgrades were available but would have to be shipped from Zinwell Taiwan. They had already spoken to Zinwell and they were putting one on their next shipment ! They would be in touch as soon as it arrived - no cost except P&P

Having dealt with a few companies over the web I wasnt holding my breath but was happy to get a mail a few days ago saying it was on its way to me !

It arrived today and I dropped it in the box.
    What an incredible improvement pushing a 50hz signal at the Panny makes !
    I've tried various settings and have settled on 1080i 50hz as the best PQ i can get. VGA 1024x768 PQ is good but still getting some blur ! I've never seen Sky+ look so good IMO
    I really wanted to use 720p @50hz but for some reason I cannot get the Panny to produce a picture at all with that setting - anyone have any idea why ? 480 p is awful :(

Anyway - for an outlay of £150 I'm more than happy :)

And big plus points to Keene in my book for great service !!