1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR's with Better than SCART Outputs?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Gav_2000, Mar 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Gav_2000

Gav_2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pace Twin which I use with the RGB output enabled to the TV SCART socket.

Whenever I look at specs for DVD players they have component outputs, progressive scan component outputs and sometimes DVI outputs which my Pace doesn't have. However, my understanding is that these sockets give progressively better pictures on the TV than an RGB SCART can do.

If this is the case do any of the newer PVR's out there improved outputs that I could benefit from when I next upgrade?

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Gav,

In terms of signals, component is no better than RGB in its normal form (Interlaced). Where the signal get's better is when it is sent as a Prog Scan signal which is mainly used over component.

Since a lot of people don't have progressive capable televisions, it's not particularly needed. There might be boxes in the future when companies wake up to the fact that plasmas and lcds have component and digital inputs. Also with scalers becoming more common, you might actually be able to get a scaled up signal to fit an LCD.

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    I would disagree with richjthorpe about interlaced component being no better than RGB.

There may be little difference in signal quality between RGB and component. However, in practice on my Panasonic 36PD30 CRT (and on some other TVs) the picture quality through component is significantly better than RGB. I therefore would pay more for a PVR with component outputs.