PVR's and Freesat

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by topcat57uk, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. topcat57uk

topcat57uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This my first note since joining - can anybody tell me whether theres a PVR out there that can work with the 'freesat' package from sky and also so you can record and watch different channels at the same time - and maybe supports guideplus. :confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    The only twin-tuner "PVR" that works with $ky (afaik) is $ky plus. Which, if you aren't paying for $ky, costs to buy (or "install") and the all but essential programme guide costs a monthly subscription.

Beyond that, whatever you buy is constrained by the (presumably) single $ky box you have - one $ky box = one channel at a time.

Probably the most obtainable device that will come close to doing what you want (but, using your $ky box - so, one channel at a time) would be a HDD-DVD recorder.

Or, scrap $ky and go Freeview. There are several twin tuner Freeview "PVR"s about of varying quality and reliability. The current favourite (in the reliability stakes) is probably the Fusion 200. There's a brand new Humax 9200, only just hitting the streets, which has much promise (based largely on theoretical specs and their very reliable single tuner job), but it's too soon for real-world experience to give any better indication.

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If you must stick with Sky, there are a few PCI cards available so you could build a HTPC to do what you want. You will need two or more PCI cards as I think they only come with one tuner each.

Alternatively just get 2 normal Sky boxes and whichever two PVRs or DVRs you like that can record from scart (TiVo, most DVD recorders, HTPCs, Windows MCE etc..).

You will have to shield one of the Sky boxes to prevent IR remote controls interfering with each other (or stick the boxes in different rooms and distribute video/audio with RF or Cat5 or video/audio senders)

I also forgot the Dreambox is also an option.

4. topcat57uk

topcat57uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody any experience of the Fortec Star Ultimate that has twin tuners,works with freesat and can use the existing sky dish?