1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR3 ? whats it all about ???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Taz69, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hiya all, I keep seeing "PVR3" everywheere lately, whats it all about, I have a Pace V1 which I am happy with, but my neice was recently offered sky+ and the salesman said you can now record 2 channels and watch a 3rd? is this possible or is it just sales talk etc,

Thanks

Taz

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The new PVR3 has a 160gig drive which is split in half, 80gig for user recordings and the other 80gig reserved (probably for VOD style PPV content). It also has USB ports but no sign of any practical application yet.

The PVR3 can not record two channels and watch a third, the basic operation is no different to the v1 in that you can record two but only watch a previous recording while doing so.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    u could watch a third if its normal FTA TV through your roof aerial...heh

but not from the Sky dish......

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think what the Sky guy meant was that you could record two channels simultaneously whilst watching a third pre-recorded programme.

5. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Maybe Nick, but Neice is adamant that he said it can record 2 while watching another channel like cbeebies etc, lol, sales platter eh, never know what you sign up for nowadays, the guy that installed mine said it cant record 2 channels at the same time until I showed him how, lol

At least I now know what the PVR3 is all about, thanks chaps

Taz

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    You can record two channels and watch a pre recorded program on all Sky+ boxes...I believe.

The reason that PVR3 is a topic of conversation at the moment is primarily because there is so much controversy over which box you get.

There are three manufactures of the Sky PVR3 box, Amstrad, Pace and Thomson.

Pace boxes seems to be reasonably scarce, yet most members will tell you they are the best and most reliable. Amstrad being the worse with a prominent 'ticky' noise coming from the hard drive.

Personally I have a thomson box and have no recording problems or otherwise, although it does have a noisyish fan, although no noiser than my xbox or even the noise from my DVD mechanism. I only really notice it late a night when the volume is turned down a little.