1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR3 for £65 (Existing Sky Customer upgrade from Sky to Sky+)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jamieone, Sep 7, 2005.

1. jamieone

jamieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is roughly how the conversation went:

Phoned 08705488485
    ME: Could you please tell me how much it is to upgrade to sky+
    SKY CS: Do you realise this is the cancellations number?
    ME: I was told by a friend that he upgraded to sky+ for £49 on this number.
    SKY CS: really?
    ME: he got a refurbished sky+ digi box.
    SKY CS: I’ll have a work with my supervisor and see if this offer is still available.
    …. [on hold]….
    SKY SC: I’m afraid this offer is only available if you are wanting to cancel.
    ME: oh.
    SKY CS: Are you wanting to cancel?
    ME: errr…..yes.
    SKY CS: [laughs] I’ll have another word with my supervisor.
    …..[on hold]……
    SKY CS: OK, we can give you a refurbished box for £49 or you can have a new box for £65, both have free installation.
    ME :thumbsup: I’ll take the new box please.

I ordered on Friday and they said they could do the installation the following Monday. The engineer turned up on the Monday with a shiny new PVR3 box (I didn’t even know they existed)

Who said Sky are all bad!?! :smashin:

Jamie

2. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Id go for this as well, if only they didn't force me into paying an extra £10 per month subsciption as I dont have the premium channels. :(

4. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a very similar conversation with the cancellation section on Friday and I am waiting for my PVR3 to be delivered tomorrow!

I do like saving £203 :eek: :D

5. davebrear

davebrear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went for the £49 deal myself a few months ago, however i rang up on friday to try and get it for my grandad. After haggling with X3 people, and being assured by all 3 that the £49 deal ended on the 1st of Sept i told them to cancel his account unless they could come up with a better offer. THey eventually offered a New box for £65, but did not specify whether it would be a PVR2 or 3. I assumed they would be getting rid of stocks of V2 boxes / amstrad boxes at this price. He is getting installed on tuesday, so i will update as to which box he recieves.

Dave

6. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes! I would not be happy if I got a PVR2 as it is the PVR3 that is listed on their web site now! I was told it would be a new system, and as new systems are now advertised as having 80Gb (i.e. PVR3) then I will accept nothing less. I will let you know what happens tomorrow......

7. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm I have taken delivery of a nice new PVR3 (at least thats what the wife tells me!). Not bad for £65! :D :thumbsup:

8. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't know why people are surprised that Sky is trying to more or less give away Sky+ boxes. I am a little surprised that sky doid not not ask for multiroom to be taken out, but I suppose since you was going to cancel, then you would not really want a extra box. did Sky take your old box or did you keep it?

The main reason sky wants people to have SKy+ is because sky+ users are less likely to cancel. I have got no iterest in Sky+, even if Sky gave it away, I do not see why I should pay an extra £10 a month, just so I can record.
    I got myself a harddrive/DVD unit, with which I can record with, so I can not record one channel while watching another, but these days the chance of anything good being on two channels at the same time is almost zero, also it would be repeated and repeated and repeated.

Tomorrow I am going to phone Sky up and ask them to downgrade me, I am getting rid of the Music and the Childrens mix, that will save me money. If Sky puts up the prices again next year, then I will drop another 2 mixes. I am not going to pay more than £20. a month, for T.V

9. a_nicholson

a_nicholson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether Sky require a BT line for this deal?
    I have been a Sky customer for a number of years now and the BT line required for the first 12 months of the contract has long since been cancelled.

thanks

10. davebrear

davebrear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah you are taking out another 12 month min sub with them so need a line again. I know this because the day the engineer called to install mine my phone line had "developed a fault" (code for living on a new housing estate and builders cutting through cable!!!) The engineer could not / would not install. He ended up coming back a week later when the problem was solved.

Dave

11. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn! I went home last night and yes I did have a PVR 3. The Amstrad. The problem is the noise! Click, click, click...... :mad: :thumbsdow . After a little checking it would seem that this is an issue with the Amstrads, so I phoned customer care (apparently better than customer services?!?) and have asked for the syetm to be replaced with the Pace. I got the usual line of 'we can't guarantee which box you will get...' but at least my account is marked that I want the Pace.

I will let you know how I get on..... :(

12. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We had this problem, just turned off the instant rewind feature, which we would never use anyway, improved things drastically.

13. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that would solve the problem, but we we would probably use this feature (new baby in the house) and the clicking happens during any recording. No point i having sky+ if I can't use the + :thumbsdow

14. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it does come back on if you are recording but I don't even notice it anymore - after 4 weeks!

15. harpal

harpal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

just tried the same and got told sky + is £199 all I got offered was 3 months of half price subscription got a good mind to call em and cancel for good.

16. harpal

harpal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

just tried the same and got told sky + is £199 all I got offered was 3 months of half price subscription got a good mind to call em and cancel for good.

17. harpal

harpal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

18. davebrear

davebrear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Harpal

Do that - at least they will take you seriously, and most probably offer you a better deal for sky+ just to keep your business.

Oh and Magnatom, my grandad's sky+ was installled yesterday and his was a Amstrad PVR3 also. He has no complaints about noise though as he is deaf as a post (bless him) I haven't been round to check it out yet but he seems really happy with it!

Good luck getting your Pace replacement

Dave

19. bobfol

bobfol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It did not work for me! I went to the ultimate bluff of actually cancelling and they stil would not quote me better than £199

20. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave. My wife doesn't usually notice this type of problem, but it was the first thing she mentioned to me yesterday. Must be bad :eek: .

The engineer is coming tomorrow so I will keep you informed...

21. harpal

harpal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

22. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my replacement PVR3 arrived and yes it was an Amstrad and yes it still clicks (and its loud!)

So I have been on to 'customer care' again and had a nice wee chat with one of the call operators there. Apparently a memo has been sent to them saying that they are not to replace boxes due to hard disk noise, and that all boxes are equally affected (Reading the forums it is obvious this isn't the case :mad: ).

Anyway after offering to pay for a courier to post one up to me (for the engineer to fix in) which they weren't willing to do, the operator has now emailed distribution to see if they can get a Pace box to me for an instalation next Tuesday. She has said she will phone me back to confirm if this possible. We'll see..... :lease:

I will keep you informed........

23. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    My Amstrad Sky+ box has just developed a couple of faults, the grand time of two weeks after the warranty expired. Having seen this thread, I thought that rather than shell out £65 on an engineer's visit and get a refurbished box with 3 months warranty, I would try this.

So I rang up, and after going through the usual account identification routine, the conversation was....

ME Can I order a Sky+ PVR3 for £65 please
    Operator Oh, where did you hear about that
    ME A number of my friends have rung this number and purchased one of your new PVR3 Sky+ boxes for £65.
    Operator I see you have Sky+ already, why would you want this box
    ME My current (Amstrad) box is faulty, and since it is out of warranty it would cost £65 for an engineer's visit
    Operator Right, well you will be pleased to hear that the box is £65, installation is free, there is a twelve month warranty, and no 12 month contract requirement
    ME Excellent, when can you book the installation
    Operator (after going through the payment and booking process) Tuesday 20th

So, seems like an easy way to get an additional 12 months warranty whilst I wait for the new hi-definition service to get a foothold.

Try it!!

24. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck gravygrange hope you get a good one :rolleyes: .

One thing I just remembered about my chat with the sky operator. She said that the pace boxes are being sent out to certain areas. So how do they chose these areas? Maybe they aren't sending them to Scotland. Is this institutional racism at sky!?!? ;)

Seriously though, has anyone North of the border got a new Pace PVR3?

25. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Just to confirm that sky did get back to me and I was told that 'I would get a pace PVR3'. Apparently the operator confirmed this with the box distributer. Sounds promising, but who knows with sky!

Lets see what Tuesday brings......

26. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    APT the PVR3 box was installed this morning. The Sky engineer told me that when his Sky 'depot' gets the equipment ready in the mornings, all the engineers dread seeing Amstrad boxes. He was surprised that I "could put up with an Amstrad box for more than a few weeks, they are awful" and much preferred the Pace boxes.

On first impressions the picture and sound quality are noticeably better than the old Amstrad, now I need to think about what I do with my old Amstrad box.

Anyone know when the new planner software will be downloaded onto these boxes?

27. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Harpel,

Just thought I would let you know that I upgraded to Sky + yesterday and got same response - at first :D

The trick is to phone 0870 548 8485 (complaints department) and state that you are unhappy with the way you have been treated with regards to Sky + and you want to cancel!

They will ask why and I explained that I had a friend that upgraded to a new box for £65 with free installation and you are unhappy that you are meant to be a valued customer but are being charged to much (also explain that you only have one TV in the house so multiroom is not an option).

:lesson: NOTE: They will probably still try to fob you off that they have never heard of this and that the offer is not available however persevere and state that because you are so unhappy you wish still to cancel right now.

It is only now that they will ask to put you on hold and come back confirming they can match the offer :clap:

Give it a go :smashin:

28. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    the main reason there probably giving them away now is that the new HD Sky+ boxes will be coming in the next few months, im going to put my £65 or whatever towards that.

29. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I thought I was getting a great deal with the £99 they charged me two weeks ago!! Still had it installed yesterday and its brand new PACE PVR3 with 80gig so can't complain.

30. GrahameD

GrahameD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Reading these posts and seeing people getting a SKY+ box for 160 makes me wonder if i could get a cheaper 160+.

Grahame