Pvr ??

geewhizz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What a recorder to tape the tele.
Dont want a dvd recorder or video recorder
Hard drive only ( pvr ) i think
So where do i get one, my budget is £150>£200.
I also have analogue cable, now if i plug that in the back will i still get all those channels and will i be able to record them.

thanks guys

AFAIK your only current option of a PVR with cable is a TiVo. You can pick them up for around £200, but you need to pay a £10 per month subscription (or £200 lifetime sub) to get the full functions. It will however still work as a recorder without the sub.

Mark.

assuming you want a twin tuner PVR so you can watch one freeview channel and record another try here http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/. Don't know if these will record the RF out of your analogue cable though

None of the current Freeview DVRs will record an analogue signal except for the Sony RDR-GXD500 DVD recorder (which has no hard disc).

Hi

I dont want twin tuners, or even freeview, just need a hard drive for recording my analogue cable. and dont want a capture card for computer ( i have a laptop ).
there must be something out there ???

Then Tivo is probably the best option, given your budget.

Hi

I can break my budget it was a ball park figure, any more info welcomed.

Cheers

You keep asking and keep getting the same answer. Right now, nobody makes what you want. The nearest options are:

> TiVO
> A DVD recorder that has an onboard hard disc and external inputs. But then that has a DVD recorder, and I somehow feel certain you're going to post to say you don't want one of those......
> A PVR but then these are "tied" (for want of a better term) to either $ky (= $ky+) or Freeview. Not cable.

So choose or wait.

I would take a dvd recorder with hard drive, as long i as i can tape my cable onto HDD.
( dont want more disks laying around.) thats why i wanted hdd only.

Perhaps Tivo is not an option after all. I'm reading that, from v1.3 onwards, it's not possible to do manual recordings without a subscription. Is this true?

Here's the Tivo UK FAQ, btw.

geewhizz said:
I would take a dvd recorder with hard drive, as long i as i can tape my cable onto HDD.
There you go, then. Pioneer, Panasonic are probably the preferred options. And, if you do record something you want to keep, you have the option of making a DVD of it. I know that certain Pioneers can be put into some sort of standby mode, whereby they just sit, waiting for a signal to begin on one of the SCARTs. Then, they power up and record. When the signal stops, they stop and go back into standby. So, you can simply do your programming in your set top box (if it has such a feature), and leave the Pioneer in this standby state. I don't know whether or not Panasonics do the same. You can get a Pioneer 420, complete with multiregion mod (for imported DVDs) from Richer, for GBP350 including an extended warrantly (last time I looked).

sdc395 said:
Perhaps Tivo is not an option after all. I'm reading that, from v1.3 onwards, it's not possible to do manual recordings without a subscription. Is this true?

Here's the Tivo UK FAQ, btw.
That may be so in the USA, but in the UK you needed a subscription to use a TiVo until software version 2.5.5 as prior to this version you just had a large door stop without the sub :D . I think the first UK software version was something like 1.5

Mark.

Your best options are as follows:

Without RGB recording:
Toshiba RD-XS30 £280
JVC DR-MH20 £300

With RGB recording:
Toshiba RD-XS32 £310
Pioneer DVR-420 £310
Panasonic E85 £320

These prices are online ones see www.kelkoo.co.uk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?