1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pvr

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Maurice, Jul 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Maurice

Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to ask such a dumb question, :blush: I've looked in FAQs but I can't see the answer. What does PVR stand for ?

and how does a PVR differ from a VCR ?

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder

A PVR has user friendly functions for recording & labelling of recordings etc. where a VCR is just a dumb recorder. Example of PVR features are an EPG where you highlight the program to record and press enter. The EPG provides all the details require to record the program. You will then have a screen display listing all the recordings with details such as prog name (ie Eastenders), channel etc.

My PVR (TiVo) also has loads of other features such as setting the timer for one episode and it will then record the rest of the series (if required). You can rate programs (up to 3 thumbs up or down) and it will then record similar that it thinks you will like. Tell it to record all programs with an certain actor, director, keyword etc. Start watching a recording whilst it is still recording the end of the program. Along with many more great features that really do change the way you watch TV. I very rarely watch TV live now as most of the time it is timeslipped.
    Most of the above features are only available on TiVo, but all PVR's will have similar types of features with the setting up a recording.

Mark.

3. Ang

Ang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your options for PVR are Sky+, Tivo, or Freeview. The Freeview PVR's do not have series link as described for the Tivo, but it is possible that they will in the future, as they receive over the air software downloads. I think you can still get Tivo boxes, but they are reconditioned ones, as they are not sold new in the UK anymore. As for Freeview, I have the Fusion FVRT100 and I love it. With Tivo and Sky+, people say it completely changes the way you watch TV, and that is also the case with the Freeview PVR's (as long as they have an EPG - not all do yet).

4. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Ang, threads have been pretty quiet about the FVRT100 lately. After all the waiting and rumours, nobody seems to be saying much. It could be a good thing, because the box is working reliably, and is as good as everyone expected, or it could be bad in the fact the Fusion haven't sold as many as they were expecting.

I was hoping for plenty of info before I took the plunge and bought one!

Can you update us with any more info.

Cheers

tman

5. Ang

Ang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think everyone is using the Digital Spy forums instead. There are quite a few Fusion owners contributing over there now, and most are happy with it. Unbeatable seem to run out of stock as soon as they get it in, so I think there have been a lot sold. So far there aren't any high-street retailers stocking it though.

I haven't had any problems with mine, other than it didn't download the EPG until the second night (this was fairly consistent with most others on the forum, although some got it first night). It is really easy to use, and it really does change how you watch TV - I do not watch anything live anymore except the news. I wouldn't be without it. Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know.