1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR with PC file compatibility??

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by WBC, Sep 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a PVR. Cheaper the better preferably with 7 day epg.

The main thing I need is to be able to transfer recordings to the PC. (I have a PC in the living room, the PVR will go in the bedroom, access from the PC will allow me to watch recordings wherever I choose).

Any recommendations? Like I said cheaper the better!!!

Thanks
    Stace

2. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have been looking for one of these too. I want a freeview PVR that supports Wireless networking and DivX. I currently have to plug my laptop into my TV when I want to watch downloaded DivX programs. I know I can get a DivX DVD player, but I don't want the hsatle of buring stuff to DVD. I know I could but a media center PC, but I won't use half of it and that would be an expensive solution. Why won't somebody make a PVR with wireless support and DivX compatability ??? ( even the Toppy does not support DivX )

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not interested in wireless etc.

Just the above with a small price tag!

Thanks

4. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Kiss do a few DivX players, but the ones with hard drives are pricey, and I think only have analogue tuners. I would guess a freeview version is in the works, but you will have to wait.

Building your own linux HTPC is going to be the cheapest way , especially if you can get hold of a cheap modded Xbox, PS2 or a linux set-top thingy from the States (very hard to find though).
    These will be more living room friendly than a normal full-size PC.
    Cheap in price, but expensive in terms of time required to build and setup.

A networked TiVo is still a bit too expensive if you include the subscription, but has a one month EPG and a gazillion hacks and features available.

5. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Apologies but the original question was............

I'm looking to purchase a PVR. Cheaper the better preferably with 7 day epg.

The main thing I need is to be able to transfer recordings to the PC. (I have a PC in the living room, the PVR will go in the bedroom, access from the PC will allow me to watch recordings wherever I choose).

Any recommendations? Like I said cheaper the better!!!

..................Talk about a Hijack ! :rolleyes::rolleyes: !!

Stace

6. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Not much choice (I assume you want DVB), all expensive:

Topfield 5800+ftp server mod - slow file transfers,need to hack together the ftp server box or keep close to PC for USB file transfers

Dreambox - expensive, normally satellite but seems to have DVB[edit from DVD] support now, native networking, expandable

Gigaset M740 AV - no UK version (import from Germany), no MHEG5 support, EPG may not work/work well in UK, needs external disk or server for recording, radio needs hacking to setup... but its a network appliance and designed for networked video.

Personally I think the M740 has the most promise, with a rumoured UK release due but you can forget about a cheap box for what you want. You'll struggle to build a linux DVB box any cheaper than any of them.

7. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry I did not mean to hijack your thread. The only PVR that I know that will do it is the Topfield, as it has USB support so you can copy from the PVR to PC. I don't know any PVR's that have network support ( as this would be beter for copying files from a PVR in one room and a PC in another ). If you don't mind moving the PVR to be next to PC to copy files off then esentialy you are looking for a PVR with USB support and the only one I know is the Toppy. Maybe somebody else and help by list all the PVR's with USB support. Sorry again for hijacking your thread but I though you might be looking for a PVR with network support ( which is what I am looking for so that I can copy file from my Mac to the PVR )

8. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Worries !! :smashin:

9. Billaboard

Billaboard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to jump in, but this might be interesting. I've got a couple of mini-ITX PC's that run at about 1GHz. If I bought a usb tuner and installed Linux on one of these, would there be much chance of it working? I find Linux pretty difficult - it never seems to recognise all the hardware on any machine I've tried it on, and I've tried many recent incarnations.

Are there any Linux apps that simulate a decent video recorder and that my wife might be able to use?

I'm actually only here because I made the mistake of buying one of the Aldi boxes (see other thread).

10. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Linux PVR software like MythTV or Freevo work well but do take a while to setup.
    They could be Wife friendly once everything is sorted. It will be expensive as you will need to add a large hard disk, usb tuner, quiet PC mods, and remote control and receiver for the wife who is unlikely to want to use a cheap PC keyboard.

The Gigaset M740 AV is probably the cheapest option once it gets a UK EPG, 160 quid I think.

11. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Remember you need to add storage to get this working, either a USB drive or a network share, you're getting extra features not a lower price. Still the most promising option.

12. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Luckily I have a number of spare hard drives :)

I will stick with my networked TiVos for a few more years until other manufacturers catch up.