PVR with iDTV

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Chrismb, Mar 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Chrismb

Chrismb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May seem like stupid question but I am thinking about getting a pvr but was sure I read somewhere that there can be problems when using with an integrated digital tuner. I can't think why but can't find the article on the internet again. Has anybody encountered any problems?

2. oilman

oilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Some IDTVs will not output their digital tv signals via scart, so the PVR can't record them.

Even if your IDTV can do this, this is a little bit silly anyway as you are converting a digital signal to analogue which will downgrade the quaility anyway. In addition, you can only record the channel you are watching on the IDTV.

It is simply better and more flexible to buy a PVR with a digital (freeview) tuner built in (some have 2 tuners).

3. Chrismb

Chrismb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks but was just going to connect as standard through ariel and then RGB.:)

4. tichtich

tichtich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just to check, you want to record from your IDTV to a PVR, right?

Most PVRs can only record from their internal tuners, not from an external source. The only exceptions in the UK are (1) Tivo (which is only available second-hand), and (2) DVD recorders with a hard disk (which are not usually considered to be "PVRs").

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    Don't see why anyone would need to record the output from an IDTV on a PVR. Doesn't seem much point.

To answer the original question.

The two devices should not interfere with each other's operation. The PVR will take an incoming aerial signal and use that to recieve and record as you require. Once set, it does not need help from the TV to do this (except for you to see menus, EPG, etc, obviously, and for playback).

It will also loop the incoming RF signal to its RF output and this then goes on to the TV which uses it to receive Freeview for you to watch live. The TV does not need help from the PVR to receive Freview.

When using the PVR to set (menus, EPG) or playback, then the RGB/SCART connection is used to pass the PVR's output to the TV.

The only possible issue is that, if your incoming RF/digital (Freeview) signal is marginal, the fact it's passed to the TV via the PVR might degrade it to such an extent as to make reception on the TV flaky.

6. Chrismb

Chrismb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Just wanted to check. I think the issue I read was about signal degredation.
    Just for clarification, I didn't want to record through TV tuner (not possible as stated), and was just going to set up as standard.
    I've just bought the HUMAX 9200T from Dixons. It's on special at £214 and it means it's easy to take it back when it goes wrong :D
    Other online prices weren't as good. Now fingers crossed that I get an ok one.

7. oilman

oilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you are right of course. PVRs do not record from an external source.

However, the boundary betwen a PVR and DVD Recorder with hard disk is beginning to get blurred. You can now get a DVD Recorder with hard disk and video recorder and analogue tuner.

Once they also have a digital tuner (perhaps one exists now?), then we will have a machine does everything! Of course if it breaks down, you lose all recording capability at the same time.