PVR with HDMI and PC Connectivity (USB/Lan?)

Anarchist

Standard Member
Hey guys,

I'm sure this question has come up a few times in the past, but a while searching has come up with nothing for me...

Is there such a PVR (without going down the HTPC route) that has HDMI, and will also allow access to copy the recordings off it (Via either ethernet or USB)?

I've seen recommendations to point to the topfields for being able to rip the recordings off via USB, but can't find any info on how to do this etc. And they're possibly a bit much to spend on something to do the job as half assed as that!

Why they can't just release a PVR with LAN access to the recordings I don't know, seems like people have been shouting for them for years :(

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hey guys,

I'm sure this question has come up a few times in the past, but a while searching has come up with nothing for me...

Is there such a PVR (without going down the HTPC route) that has HDMI, and will also allow access to copy the recordings off it (Via either ethernet or USB)?

I've seen recommendations to point to the topfields for being able to rip the recordings off via USB, but can't find any info on how to do this etc. And they're possibly a bit much to spend on something to do the job as half assed as that!

Why they can't just release a PVR with LAN access to the recordings I don't know, seems like people have been shouting for them for years :(

The Humax 9200 and all Topfield freeview pvrs can transfer mpeg2 video to a PC for making DVD's. The USB implementation on a 9200 is very picky though
but a simple mod allows direct high speed transfer over IDE. The USB implementation on both is similar you need a PC on which the supplied transfer software is installed. The software includes a driver which accesses the stb drives and files are simply copied to any drive on your PC. The Foxsat-hdr has a similar capability but in this case the hdr is a host controller and the transfer software is built in. In this case you plug in a usb pen or HDD and transfer mpeg2 files using only the hdr

Anarchist

Standard Member
The Humax Freesat FOXSAT-HDR PVR sounds absolutely perfect, but for one thing...

It has freesat tuners. Not freeview tuners :\

Due to building regs can't put a dish up

:(

son_t

In that case, either the Humax 9300T or Topfield 5810. Both have USB connections and HDMI.

EDIT: Errr... they removed the USB on the 9300T, so just the 5810 then...

Anarchist

Standard Member
9200 doesn't have HDMI, 9300 apparently has usb removed

Topfields, bit expensive for doing a 'half assed job' - hence looking for an alternative! I don't mind spending the cash if it does a proper job, but spending cash on half a job is a bit of a duff job :\

Might not be an alternative though at this rate :\

Anarchist

Standard Member
Yeah, thats kind of the only thing I came up with myself.

How easy is it to drag the recordings off the 5810? Just a case of plugging usb into 5810 to PC, installing software, then drag n drop sort of affair?

son_t

I think fairly straightforward, although getting the box to work is another matter. Its firmware is so poor that Toppy users would recommend installing a 5800 hacked firmware on the 5810!!

It might be easier to install an eSATA cable mod on the 9300T to get access to the recordings than installing firmware and TAPs on the 5810!

Anarchist

Standard Member
If it were my own box, I'd happily rip it apart in whatever ways necessary, but its for an office install, where people turning it on/using it will generally be completely without brains :\

Guess my final alternative, is to go with 'whatever', then just get a capture card for the PC! (There will be a PC permanantly near the box)

Anarchist

Standard Member
Right, so basically there isn't really any easy option :\

If I were to get a Humax 9300t, and a USB TV Capture device, would that work?

I guess that the Humax would have to output via composite/LR audio. I guess there would be no problem with doing this?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
That might be true, but there's a little known (or forgotten) program called HumaxStream that allows you to stream over the network, using this 'picky' USB interface...

Cool idea, but for most the requirement to have a PC within USB range would make it a little impractical. By the way I already use media controller without any problems as the Humax software never worked after V21 firmware upgrade and yes the file can be played as it transfers on the host PC (vlc player works). Many however report they can't get it to work at all. The topfield on the other hand can be connected to a network as the OP wanted but it does need a degree of technical expertise

http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/WL500g/ToppyAndAsusWL-500g.pdf

son_t

I guess that the Humax would have to output via composite/LR audio. I guess there would be no problem with doing this?

I don't know what you are wanting to achieve. Maybe you should explain a little more, then we could give better suggestions...

Anarchist

Standard Member
Alright, basically,

Looking to get an office AV install put in a reception area. The day to day use of this will be done by morons (they'll get thrown off by anything more complicated than their home TV, hence no HTPCs etc!)

This display will be mostly displaying TV News (freeview) sources, IE BBC News 24. And also running presentations from the reception PC (don't worry about that bit).

The PVR is required to record news sources that can be played back later in the day. Doing this via the PC there is not really suitable as sometimes recordings will need to be done out of office hours, and can't really justify leaving PC's running all day/night.

The requirement to be able to rip the recordings onto the PC is a minor (albeit still important one) - it will get very little use, however does need to be able to be done somehow, by somebody who is reasonably OK at following instructions. This is needed, as sometimes news stories may need to be used elsewhere, in meetings/workshops/presentations etc.

There will be a PC available next to the PVR box.

Hope that helps, with helping me! :)

Last edited:

Anarchist

Standard Member
The other alternative, is that I could drop the HDMI requirement (while it would be nice, its not a do-or-die feature)

Which may open up a couple of other possibilities

son_t

I assume that the screen is the PC's monitor - and hence the needed for HDMI output from the PVR? (maybe HDMI to DVI, in which case you might want to make sure this works for that monitor).

If the screen is an LCD TV, then this will have SCART input and the HDMI requirement is not needed. If the PC needs to be connected, make sure the screen has a PC input (which most LCD TVs have). If this is the case (or can be arranged) then you can get a 9200T, which does have USB connections for transferring recording off.

If the PC can be dedicated for TV viewing, then a PC TV card might be suitable - say a Pinnacle one which comes with its own TV software, allowing any one with a little bit of PC skills to start up a program and use a remote to change channels will be just fine. Most PC TV cards allow recordings of programmes.

Otherwise, a Toppy 5810 can be set up, with a bit of a one-off complicated configuration might have to be your only option...

Anarchist

Standard Member
The screen is a new install LCD. (UE40B7000)

The PC part of the install is all fine, don't worry (ATI 3650 with HDMI/DVI/DSUB is being fitted).

As mentioned, some recordings will need to be done out of office hours, which blows the idea of PC based PVR straight out.

Yes, I could technically get away with the 9200T - but plenty of issues regarding reliability of being able to pull these off trouble me a little. I guess I just love the sound of the foxsat and wished it worked that well/easily!

HDMI isn't essential, really honestly thinking about it, however it would have been nice.

The alternative, is that I'm just checking building regulations/landlord to see if they really really wouldnt want us putting a freesat dish up.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

No composite on a Humax you would need an active RGB to component converter. The Toppy 5800 scart (not sure about 5810) can output component.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The screen is a new install LCD. (UE40B7000)

The PC part of the install is all fine, don't worry (ATI 3650 with HDMI/DVI/DSUB is being fitted).

As mentioned, some recordings will need to be done out of office hours, which blows the idea of PC based PVR straight out.

Yes, I could technically get away with the 9200T - but plenty of issues regarding reliability of being able to pull these off trouble me a little. I guess I just love the sound of the foxsat and wished it worked that well/easily!

HDMI isn't essential, really honestly thinking about it, however it would have been nice.

The alternative, is that I'm just checking building regulations/landlord to see if they really really wouldnt want us putting a freesat dish up.

There are a few alternatives to a dish this for instance which will have less visual impact than a freeview aerial

Satellite Dishes for pole mounting or wall mount sky digital

http://www.cubsat.com/gb.htm

http://www.sqish.co.uk/

http://www.ddelec.com/digiglobe.htm

Last edited:

Anarchist

Standard Member
The problem is, I can get away with a loft installed freeview antenna. A dish (of any size) will need to go on the outside though - which is always a problem with commercial properties.

son_t

You could get Freesat installed at home, record programmes required for work and then bring them in on an external drive for playback...

son_t

But it could be your only option...

But you could look into MediaPortal and ForTheRecord to solve your PC (viewing and) recording issues...

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022