PVR with great EPG and Menus?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by BrianScott1980, Feb 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BrianScott1980

BrianScott1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been offered an incredible mobile phone and broadband deal with 02 and have decided to leave BT as a result. The problem is that I really, really like the BT Vision box that I got as part of their broadband service.

I've looked around and I thought that the Humax 9300T was going to be an ideal replacement but having witnessed the EPG I can't believe how ugly and basic it looks in comparisson to the BT Vision slick menus. I don't get why the Freesat versions of the Humax boxes have a really nice interface yet the standalone versions don't have this.

Can somone please point me in the direction of a sub £200 Freeview PVR with twin tuner and nice aesthetics / presentation menus? Also, I'd be looking for one with an upscaling HDMI connection unless there's a reason why this isn't worth getting?

Thanks,

Brian.

2. son_t

son_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Look into a Topfield TF5800 with a few TAPs installed... (especially MyStuff). This is the best you are going to get on Freeview for £200...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. BrianScott1980

BrianScott1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the response. I think you're confirming my fear that all the standalone freeview boxes all share the same ugly style of interface. That's quite dissapointing. I might look into getting the Freesat HD+ PVR as it's the only one with a suitable interface.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,297
    As you like, but I don't think that's what son_t said. He said that a Topfield with the "mystuff" TAP installed provides a far far better EPG UI than those you've seen. Of course, if you've checked out the "mystuff" UI and still don't like it....fair enough.

5. BrianScott1980

BrianScott1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, should have clarified. I checked the link he provided and still don't like the UI. It's the garishness of the primary coloured blocks on the menu etc which look awful. I spend my days programming interfaces for business applications and would be embarassed to produce something of the same standard.

The Freesat interfaces however are much better. I can't see why they haven't simply provided the same UI for both the Freeview and Freesat Humax boxes when they seem so technically and functionally similiar.

Example being: Humax Freesat HD UI [UK]

If that were on the 9300T then I'd snap one up in a second.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  6. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Have you seen images of the new Philip's DTR 7510 user interface? That may be more to your taste. The Manual can be downloaded here. You may have to wait a while to get one though. It's listed in the current Argos catalogue here but has not yet appeared in stock.

Colin

7. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    :D The PVR9150/PVR9300 are an evolution of the 3+YO PVR9200, and as such it seems the development of a new UI was inappropriate. Besides, even the PVR9300 deals only with SD video, meaning a higher resolution interface was not possible.
    The Freesat Foxsat HDR is very different (platform/hardware), and as it does do HD video, the opportunity was taken to make the most of that in UI design.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,297
    Did you see the alternate skins? Topfield is highly customisable.

9. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    With the Topfield and MyStuff you can design your own, unique interface. :clap:

10. son_t

son_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I would fully agree with you here, even though I provided the suggestion and link! But it is the best you will do via a Freeview PVR (maybe with the exception the Philips one suggested above, which is not out yet!)
    The Humax Freesat STB and HDR share the same hi-res GUI and I would highly recommend the PVR. See here for info on the FOXSAT-HDR: foxsat-hdr » home

Unfortunately Humax just used the same software and interface as the 9200T for their latest Freeview PVRs... There's absolutely no competition in the Freeview PVR market and manufacturers have no incentive of producing better working and looking boxes for the Freeview+ consumer...

Although the prospect of DVB-T2 (HD) coming to Freeview will surely breed a new set of PVRs with HD capability and hi-res GUI (just like Freesat)...

11. BrianScott1980

BrianScott1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the feedback. I like the looks of the Philips PVR and might look into when it's due for release. The option of the Freesat HD PVR box sounds good as well although its £100 over my budget and I had trouble with SKy installing a dish before.

12. son_t

son_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
  13. clemenzina

clemenzina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm hoping that if this ever does become available it will have a bigger hard drive - I noticed that when I cancelled one Series Record booking on my 160gb Tiscali+ PVR, 20% of the hard drive was freed up :eek:

There's a 40gb TiVo on eBay at the mo, the blurb mentions Season Pass (Series Link equivalent, I presume?) - if the TiVo can cope with such a small HDD it must have a quite different way of handling it.

Oh how I wish Vestel would pull their fingers out and give us a super-performing Freeview+ model :(

clemenzina

14. BrianScott1980

BrianScott1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Decided to go with the 9300T in the end. Used the Humax Direct site and got a Grade A model for £150 delivered. Hope it works as well as everyone has commented.

15. Torin

Torin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did you look at the different skins available? The ones on the link are bold but there are a lot more subltle ones available.

16. son_t

son_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Enjoy your 9300T. It is the best of the Freeview+ PVRs IMHO...
    The TiVo is an analogue PVR, so you have 'quality' settings that might save you space... Most people upgrade the HDD however, and doing so is not that straight forward (unlike many modern digital Freeview PVRs)...