PVR with editing facilities

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by midlandswarrior, Aug 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my research on the net as far as i can see the only DVD/HDD combi or HDD standalone recorder that can edit programs for example to remove adverts is the panasonic hs2

the reason i want this setup is to archive recordings to dvd-r's but without all the annoying advents

if anyone knows for any others suggestions would be appreciated

2. pvr_uk

pvr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also seen the Samsung DVD-H40 do this, and I think the upcoming Daewoo DHD-4000D will also be able to do this. (Both are DVD player HDD combis)

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There is always the option of getting a PC burner and editting the adverts that way. A PC burner can be picked up for around £100 with authoring software anywhere from free to around £50. Such solutions allow you edit unwanted scenes, add your own menus (some allow animated menus), merge recordings, run logo removal programmes etc etc. It all depends what DVD recorder you are using now and what you want to create.

If your interested in this route post your current setup (i.e. what DVD recorder you have) and we'll go from there.

4. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good/cheaper idea

i currently have a panasonic dmr30 but i just have 10 dvd-ram's with rugby matches on that i want to keep but i have run out of discs

what software can be used to edit dvd-ram files on a pc and does the editing mess up audio sync at all?

Thanks
    Mike

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Quite a few people on the DVD Recorders forum go down this route. The most user friendly way is to download a programme called TMPG Enc Author which fully supports VRO file format. You can either edit on the E30 or in TMPG Author. TMPG Enc Author can be downloaded (with a free trial period) from:
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_download.html

You shouldn't have any audio sync problems as it fully supports VRO.

To do this you'll need a drive that supports DVD-RAM. Now you can get a PC DVD burner that supports RAM disks such as:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=50918
    (which AFAIK is one of the cheapest DVD burners you can get - but note this is an OEM version so you don't get any software with it)

...or you can get any DVD burner and just upgrade your current CD/DVD-ROM drive to one that supports RAM disks, such as the Toshiba 1612 or this Panasonic one (which the dit says supports DVD-RAM):
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40271

I'm not sure if TMPG author supports DVD burning within it's programme so you may need Nero (or equivalent) as well depending on what, if any, burning software you already have. Nero can be downloaded from:
    http://www.nero.com/en/index.html

All in all you should get a complete solution for around £180 based on:
    Approx. £95 DVD-RAM/-RW/-R drive
    Approx. £45 TMPG Author registration
    Approx. £40 Nero registration
    If you already have burning software knock £40 off the price. And you'll end up with a very powerful editting suite.

As an update I've just seen TMPG Author does have a DVD writing tool so you may not need Nero after all. Try it and see if it works is my best advice.

6. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the ideal situation would be some sort of HDD recorder/PVR which can be networked to your PC. You would then copy the recording from the PVR to your local PC - do any conversions necessary, then burn onto DVD-R.

I believe you can do this with a heavily modified TiVO - but if there was anything else out there that could do this, i'd certainly like to hear about it!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Your wish will be granted next year (and now if you move to Japan!). Next year we are going to see the release of a Toshiba DVD-RAM/HDD combo that has a USB2 socket allowing video to be uploaded and download to the PC. It also allows images to be downloaded to the unit and for the Timer to be set by an online EPG. Should be the first of many such products and I'm sure such developments will also find their way into other types of PVR.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I forgot to mention aside from the Panasonic HS2 the Toshiba RX3 is also capable of doing this. It's about £30 cheaper than the HS2 but, crucially, lacks RGB in meaning it is not nearly so good at recording from Sky :(

Anyway the link:
    http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/home.nsf
    (and click Recordable DVD/RD-XS30)

9. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hmm, sounds nice, but not quite 100% what i'm after. I think the TiVO solution is best - mainly because it runs Linux and is very configurable.

I think USB2 is pretty much useless for networking. Not only is it slow compared to 100mb/s ethernet - but you can't get wireless versions and if you used a wire you couldn't go very far with it. The ideal box would be simple to use like the TiVO - but also be networkable via ethernet (wired or wireless) with no special software needed on the PC, so basically you could share the recorders disk and just copy files over. The device should also be able to provide streaming video to other 'nodes' in the household - i.e. other TV's in other rooms.

In theory a box like this is easy to make - but I think there are alot of legal issues which are holding this kind of technology back. The movie/TV industry aren't too happy about all their TV shows floating around the internet before they are shown in other countries. Technology like this makes it much easier to pirate TV.

I seem to recall there was an american device like this - that allowed you to share you recorded TV shows over the internet. I'm not sure if they are still for sale though.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There are a whole load of WiFi consumer products coming next year if that's what your after. Philips, JVC, Toshiba and Panasonic all have them planned for the end of 2004 market as part of the 'home network' entry. Your going to be looking at the higher end of the market though (£1000+) for the really decent stuff.

11. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What I want doesn't necessarily have to be wireless - just flexible and networkable. At the end of the day if it has an ethernet port, you can just bang on a wireless bridge and turn it into a wireless machine. Not elegant, but it would work.

I found this too:

http://www.fusiondigitec.com/files/FDVRT100.html

Looks interesting - anyone tried one?

12. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the taking the time an excellent reply Rasczak

Ive already got a toshiba DVD-ROM drive in my computer and it can read the RAM disc from the dmr30 as well yeh:clap:

Recordnow Max is installed as well, so i guess all i need is a dvd writer and the TMPG author program which i can try to 30 days.

thanks for the help, Mike

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    No problem mate.

If you need any support don't hestitate to ask (although the DVD Recorders forum is probably the best place to post). You'll also find tons of support for PC DVD authoring at:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/

14. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not very heavily modified. You just need a TurboNet ethernet adapter. Works great.

15. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ReplayTV. And no, they took that feature out post bankruptcy. To be honest, even a broadband connection is no good for video sharing like that.

What ReplayTV did do was let you share programmes between ReplayTVCs on the home network. TiVo in the US does that now too.

I've got my two TiVos so I can move shows from one to the other, and some TiVo hackers are very close to streaming vid from one to another now, so hopefully that'll be working soon.

16. lidz

lidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not use a PC. You can get some pretty nifty barebones systems now such as the MSI Mega PC or the Shuttle. Equip it with e DVD burner and a big hard disk and a graphics card with TV-out. Alternatively buy one ready built.

You can run any video editing package you wish.

17. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the biggest problem is getting the recording in the first place. Sure you can do captures - but doing it on a PC is not always easy and as painless as a PVR device. The biggest problem that comes to mind is audio and video sync.

Sure there are some nice bits of hardware to ensure PC capture works well - but they are expensive, and by the time you buy a dedicated PC and this hardware, you may as well have bought a standalone DVD burner/PVR.