PVR, which one to choose

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by exbrat, Aug 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. exbrat

exbrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, first posting and a question - looking for a PVR with hard drive and have narrowed it down to a Toppy or a Humax, read loads of reviews, to many maybe.
    Does any one outshine the other in a particular way? looking for reliability and ease of use (for dearly beloved) and of course gizmos for me. Some advice from experienced users would be very welcome.

2. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Just look at the next thread down from this one exbrat.

Here

3. exbrat

exbrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks, and yes. just been reading more comparisons/specs and being pulled towards the Toppy now.

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The remaining difference between them are roughly:

Timers: Humax 20,Topfield 70. If you record a lot you'll struggle to get through long weekends away with a Humax.

EPG: very slow to populate on Humax, lost in standby. The Toppy has a large variety of EPG's available to install using either the 7day broadcast data or 14 data xmltv downloads (needs a PC connection), EPG retained on disc.

USB: Toppy is slightly faster and reliable, many people have problems getting it to work on the Humax.

Timer autopadding is unreliable on the Humax and needs some care in use to avoid problems.

Otherwise the machines with current firmware are nearly identical in base functionality. The Toppy supports user written extensions (TAPS) that extend the functions and can fix problems with the machine, the Hummy is reliant on Humax supplying fixes (something they've been extremely slow at doing). Future Humax updates may narrow the gap more if you want to wait, it could be a damn long wait though.

5. KpSte

KpSte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me guess you've a Topfield haven't you!

I've a 9200T and non of the above have caused me any problems.

We've had 4 OTA updates this year and work is underway on the 5th???

6. exbrat

exbrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for all the info. will sleep on it I think and let it digest, also been reading the two manuals I downloaded and the other comments on this forum.

7. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    No, I own a 9200 and watched it crash daily for the 1st 5 months I had it (then I stopped even trying to use it). Still waiting for issues raised with Humax in Oct 2005 to be dealt with, including the ludicrous 20 timer limit and falling over on consecutive recordings - the root cause of todays autopadding screwups and a fine example of how quickly Humax react.

And I'm sick of lucky owners pretending their lack of problems means I'm just inventing them. Humax's own changelogs tell a different story. 4 updates (1 BEFORE THE POS EVEN WENT ON SALE), 4 chances to fix things like the timer shortage, 4 chances wasted... and lest we forget it took 3 of those releases to properly fix one bug (lost recording names) only to have it broken all over again in the last one.

8. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    owned a toppy for a year now, it has been the best thing since sliced bread. the ability to transfer to pc invaluable.

just wished it had sky sports.

9. Hummyowner

Hummyowner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would also suggest you have a look at the dedicated forums:

http://www.hummy.org.uk/invison/index.php?act=idx

and

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/index.php

Some of the info here is at best misleading, and not comparing like for like.
    EG a vanilla (no taps) Topfield loads the EPG in about the same time as the Humax, and is not saved.

The Humax was released with ver 1.00.00 software, version 1.00.01 was released about a Month later 21/11/05 on their website.

10. Caz41

Caz41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you don't mind your PVR breaking down after 4-5 months then I'd go for the Fusion 200 :D

No seriously, it's a great machine IMO and now that I've discovered how to pause a recording to where I've seen and watch the rest later (took me long enough!), I really can't fault it. I've got the 145 now since my 200 packed up on me but can't recommend that as it's discontinued now. :thumbsup: