• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

pvr/tv/dvd connection problems

chalkway9

Standard Member
I'm trying to use my DVD recorder to copy items from my pvr and I'm having cabling problems. I'd be really grateful if anyone can help.
I have:
a Panasonic TX 26LXDI television
a Humax 9300T pvr
an LG DR4810 DVD recorder.
The PVR is connected by SCART to the TV's AV2 scart socket.
The PVR is connected by SCART to the DVD's AV2 decoder
The DVD is connected via Component Cable (video out) to the TV's component video in.
The PVR was copying to the DVD, BUT only in black and white.
I changed to Component Video setting on the DVD from RGB and got a poor quality colour recording BUT in neither configuration do I get any sound. I tried connecting the DVD audio in, to the PVR audio socket but still no sound. What am I doing wrong here? The above connections were made following advice on this site when I was unable to get a signal from the DVD to the TV. That works fine now (many thanks) but I can't crack this PVR to DVD difficulty.
chalkway9:lease:

Gavtech

Administrator
I'm trying to use my DVD recorder to copy items from my pvr and I'm having cabling problems. I'd be really grateful if anyone can help.
I have:
a Panasonic TX 26LXDI television
a Humax 9300T pvr
an LG DR4810 DVD recorder.
The PVR is connected by SCART to the TV's AV2 scart socket.
The PVR is connected by SCART to the DVD's AV2 decoder
The DVD is connected via Component Cable (video out) to the TV's component video in.
The PVR was copying to the DVD, BUT only in black and white.
I changed to Component Video setting on the DVD from RGB and got a poor quality colour recording BUT in neither configuration do I get any sound. I tried connecting the DVD audio in, to the PVR audio socket but still no sound. What am I doing wrong here? The above connections were made following advice on this site when I was unable to get a signal from the DVD to the TV. That works fine now (many thanks) but I can't crack this PVR to DVD difficulty.
chalkway9:lease:

You have too many scart connections are they are not configured in an ideal way.

The objective is to get RGB for watching from both sources AND for copying from PVR to DVDR. [ or component if you must ... but the advantage of that does not really apply to the kind of sources you are using ]

Recommend two fully wired scarts only.

Scart from PVR TV output scart [ only one that gives RGB ] to DVDR AV2

DVDR AV1 to an RGB capable socket on TV [ probably AV1]

Do not plug in any other scarts.

Lack of sound is nearly always due to a scart being skewed.
Ensure they are fully pushed into the sockets.

chalkway9

Standard Member
Hi Gavtech, in that configuration I can't get the pvr to respond at all. I've tried various scart sockets. Should the aerial now run from pvr to dvd to tv? I've got it still straight from pvr to tv. Additional problem is that dvd takes an age to 'read' blank disc and come on line so running pvr through dvd may slow things down unacceptably?
chalkway9

creddish

Hi Gavtech, in that configuration I can't get the pvr to respond at all. I've tried various scart sockets. Should the aerial now run from pvr to dvd to tv? I've got it still straight from pvr to tv. Additional problem is that dvd takes an age to 'read' blank disc and come on line so running pvr through dvd may slow things down unacceptably?
chalkway9
I'm assuming that by saying "I can't get the pvr to respond at all" you mean that it is not showing its output on the TV.

So that the SCART output from the PVR is fed to the TV the DVD Recorder will need to be in standby or alternatively if it is operational then it must be set to feed through the incoming signal from the PVR, probably by setting a "Source" control appropriately.

You only need the DVD to have aerial feed if you want to use it's internal tuner(s). Provided you have an aerial feed to the PVR then it should be providing an output.

I don't see why placing the DVD Recorder between the PVR and TV will slow anything down.

Colin

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Gavtech, in that configuration I can't get the pvr to respond at all. I've tried various scart sockets.

Check that you have AV2 selected as the source input on the DVDR [...as Colin has described.]

Additionally, if still no results check in the DVDR setup that AV2 is configured to intake RGB.

chalkway9

Standard Member
Sorry it's taken a day or two to respond. If you're still watching - the system is working fine now. Many thanks for your very helpful advice.
chalkway9
:thumbsup:

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for reporting back.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom