• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PVR that's like SKY+?

sme

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a PVR and getting rid of SKY+ the only problem I have is if it's difficult to use my other half will complain like crazy and I can't do with the earache. Is there a PVR on the market that is as easy to use as Sky+ or am I better sticking with Sky?

Many thanks for any help

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
The first question has to be - do you want to carry on receiving a Satellite broadcast, or do you want to move to terrestrial broadcast (i.e. Freeview) using an aerial?

sme

Standard Member
The first question has to be - do you want to carry on receiving a Satellite broadcast, or do you want to move to terrestrial broadcast (i.e. Freeview) using an aerial?

Hi,

Is it possible to still use the Sky dish and a PVR on that?

Thanks

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but it has to be a satellite PVR, not a Freeview (terrestrial) model and the choice of these is limited. The Humax mentioned above is probably the main contender.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Yes thats the one , and it is pretty easy to use , its pretty much on a par with the Sky box. Installation is simple , it uses the same dish and cables as your sky + box does , you just search for the channels , and away you go.

Some would say the EPG is better than sky , but thats subjective. It is easy to use though.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Yes thats the one , and it is pretty easy to use , its pretty much on a par with the Sky box. Installation is simple , it uses the same dish and cables as your sky + box does , you just search for the channels , and away you go.

Some would say the EPG is better than sky , but thats subjective. It is easy to use though.

And you get free high definition if you have a suitable telly

Sonic67

Banned
I think so though I've not tried that yet. It does tell you if you try to record a programme in SD and a HD programme is available.

Geofbob

Prominent Member
One feature the Sky box has that the Humax does not is a modulator & the RF2 outlet to enable a link to another room via a coax cable - but of course if you don't use that feature, it won't matter to you. (This is simply my understanding - I don't have either device!)

Strocky

Banned
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a PVR and getting rid of SKY+ the only problem I have is if it's difficult to use my other half will complain like crazy and I can't do with the earache. Is there a PVR on the market that is as easy to use as Sky+ or am I better sticking with Sky?

Many thanks for any help

Tivo :clap::clap:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Many thanks guys, looks like that's the one. Does it do series link?

Thanks again

Absolutely :D. That's what the + in Freesat+ means.

Quadro4nic

Standard Member

Do you need to reposition your dish to point somewhere else or does it use the same satellite? (The reason I ask is I'm thinking of cancelling sky but using the dish for freesat).

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Do you need to reposition your dish to point somewhere else or does it use the same satellite? (The reason I ask is I'm thinking of cancelling sky but using the dish for freesat).

Same satellites and same programmes, Freesat is just a different 8 day epg incorporating some of the available free to air channels at 28.2/28.5E (all are viewable without the epg in non-freesat mode). It's a straight swap for say a sky+ box and a foxsat-hdr unless you use the rf2 sky box output and magic eyes for remote control. If you do you need extra bits and pieces.

Fluffwump

Standard Member
Yes the freesat+ does series link , and the feature that I partcularly like is that it puts all the programmes with the same title in one folder ie all corrie goes in the corrie folder , all doc martin goes in the doc martin folder etc, and it records Hd as well, I am just about to cancel my sky subs.
It was easy to replace the sky + box, just plug in the cables, set it to search for the channels and bingo, you can do it yourself easy, I did (female and 50) no probs.
Also you can store jpgs and MP3's ... bonus!
Good Luck

Quadro4nic

Standard Member
Yes the freesat+ does series link , and the feature that I partcularly like is that it puts all the programmes with the same title in one folder ie all corrie goes in the corrie folder , all doc martin goes in the doc martin folder etc, and it records Hd as well, I am just about to cancel my sky subs.
It was easy to replace the sky + box, just plug in the cables, set it to search for the channels and bingo, you can do it yourself easy, I did (female and 50) no probs.
Also you can store jpgs and MP3's ... bonus!
Good Luck

That sounds ideal for my requirements.
Thanks very much for the response.:)

fairtrader42

Standard Member
Just a small point about the fact that the Humax pvr does not have the RF2 outlet that Sky has, allowing the same program to be displayed on a TV in another room.

Whilst this is true, the Humax does have an "f" plug output that allows the actual satellite input signal from the LNB to be routed elsewhere, to provide an input to another satellite receiver. Many of us opting for Freesat will already have a Sky Digibox, which, if used in this manner, will receive all the FTA programmes without a viewing card.

Fairtrader42

"Whilst the grass elsewhere may be greener, it still needs to be cut"

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Just a small point about the fact that the Humax pvr does not have the RF2 outlet that Sky has, allowing the same program to be displayed on a TV in another room.

Whilst this is true, the Humax does have an "f" plug output that allows the actual satellite input signal from the LNB to be routed elsewhere, to provide an input to another satellite receiver. Many of us opting for Freesat will already have a Sky Digibox, which, if used in this manner, will receive all the FTA programmes without a viewing card.

Fairtrader42

"Whilst the grass elsewhere may be greener, it still needs to be cut"

The lnb loop can only give 100% channel coverage when the hdr is in full sby. In recording sby and on it only outputs channels sharing the same polarity and frequency band as tuner 1 is using. It's real use is to provide a feed for tuner 2 when only one lnb is available

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom