1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR that can record from SCART

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by UncleZen, Oct 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. UncleZen

UncleZen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Humax 8100t (from 247 electrical) but had to send it back (very efficient delivery & collection service by the way) because it only records from its own tuner, it wont record via its 2nd scart socket, even though the socket is an input. I should have done more research, still live & learn.

So what I want is a PVR/DVR with Freeview that will also record via a Scart socket.
    Not bothered about timeshifting

Any suggestions?

2. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Since the entire essence of a PVR is timeshifting, you seem to be looking at the wrong product. The reason why none of the current crop of Freeview PVRs offer recording from an external source is that it would add considerably to the cost because they would need to incorporate video encoding hardware to do it. Recording from Freeview is relatively straightforward because you basically just record the bitstream as it is transmitted.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I think your only options for a digital recorder with external inputs is either a DVD recorder or TiVo. I know TiVo doesn't have a built in Freeview tuner and I'm not sure if any DVD recorders are yet around that do either.
    Of course there is the option of an MCE PC, but this is expensive and could be more trouble than its worth as it is a Windows PC that will take looking after like any PC.

Mark.

4. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony HXD710 - very good dvd recorder with freeview and HDD...?

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I wonder if the OP was specifically refering to a rewind live TV function using a permanently recording buffer; this is sometimes (e.g. my Topfield manual) called timeshifting. You are obviously refering generally to the activity of watching something that has already been transmitted at a different time. As you say there would not be much point in getting a PVR if you did not want to do this at all. :D

Richard

PS mind you as the OP seems to have disapeared we will probably never know. Is it just me or does there seem to be a very high number of threads on here started by people who never come back to say thanks for advice/you are talking nonsense etc or indeed come back at all. Seems to happen a lot less on say Digital Spy technical forums.

6. UncleZen

UncleZen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive not dissapeard, just away for the weekend.

What I want is basically to do, is to record to disk, because its better quality than tape, its that simple. It makes sense to have Freeview. But I also want to record from a SCART input aswell.
    I didnt consider a DVD recorder because I dont want stacks of DVDs lying about, but then if thats the only way, I'll consider it.

I said Im not bothred about timeshifting, what I meant was the ability to pause live TV. Its not the highest thing on the priority list, thats all. If the box does it fine, I'll probably never use it. If it doesent no great shakes.

7. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wont need stacks of DVD's hanging around as lots of these DVD recorders have built in hard drives, the sony KXD710 has 160gb for example. They are more expensive than a Humax for example but could be a good option...

8. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too am interested in a PVR, but also want to be able to record from an external source. I want the built in Freeview etc, but I have a (non-SKY) satellite system which I'd like to be able to record, but want to scrap my VCR and all the tapes etc that go with it. Seems like there's basically nothing available right now.

9. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    See posts above eg reference to Sony

10. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But this surely doesn't have the tuner built-in etc etc.

11. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi
    Well northerner above says it does; this says it does; so I suspect it does. Only one tuner of course unfortunately.
    Dont know if it has the etc etc built in :)
    Richard

12. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My apologies, I was making a sweeping assumption based on the DVD HD recorders I'd seen to date

13. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    No problem Gregorski; but just noticed you are in Poland where I make the sweeping assumption :D that Freeview Tuners will not work.

Richard

14. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, I lied. I'm no longer in Poland. I'd better change my profile. You are right that freeview will not work, but the satellite system I have is Polish Cyfra+ which is digital and is the external source I want to be able to record from.

As an aside, they have some cool feature on channels like Discovery where the sound feed cn be switched between polish and english for translated programs. Subtitle language can be set similarly. The spoken language selection is heavily used on cartoon channels.