1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR & Telewest - Most suitable hardware ?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by PaulBoy, Sep 12, 2005.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sorry for the real noob type lack of knowledge here but I am trying to help out a m8 who is looking for a replacement for his VCR and rang me for advice (?) He knows less than I do about this technology but I said I know some very helpful people on here & would ask for help ...
    Budget is £300
    Currently all TV programs are provided by Telewest via a digibox
    My m8 said he was after a DVD recorder along the lines of Panasonic DMREH50 but after discussion I thought a HDD recorder might be more suitable (?) Whoever he has spoken to already told him not to get anything "without its own tuner built in"
    For ease of use some sort of Electronic Programming should be included (do you get this with DVD recorders or HDD systems or both ?)
    I see Pace Thomson & others do HDD systems some with "twin tuners" (presumably like Sky+)
    It all looks a bit like a minefield so any help would be greatly appreciated ... Paul ;)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Currently there are very few options for cable. The only full function PVR that will work with cable TV is a TiVo. These can be bought for about £200 from eBay or www.tivoland.com but will need a £200 lifetime or £10 per month subscription to get the EPG.
    Due at some point this year (advertised previously as available Q2 2005 I think :rolleyes: ) is a 3 tuner PVR similar to Sky+ from Telewest. Do a search on Digitalspy and here for details of it, but I've not seen that much info as yet.
    DVD recorders with a HDD will not AFAIK give an EPG for cable. I think the EPG is only for analogue TV and recently a Freeview version has been released with the built in tuners. No non cable TV company supplied boxes are available with a cable tuner. You need to use the one they supply.

Mark.

3. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are such recorders which offer EPG capability that do work with Telewest. The system used is GuidePlus+ and you can record to the hard disk at the touch of a button. The only drawback that I can see is you can only record and watch one program at a time.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10728&taxonomy_id=42-125

This is the recorder which I am currently considering to beef up my television viewing. However with Telewest set to announce their own PVR it's a toss up of whether to wait or not. :)

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    mobily that looks sweeet! For a thicko like me how does the PVR EPG work ?
    Is it as easy as Sky+ ? How is the EPG generated ? Does it take its info from the Telewest source or elsewhere ?
    Thanks for your help (everyone) so far ... Paul ;)

5. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I am as much a newbie as your good self but I shall try and explain.

The EPG data is taken from what is known as a host channel. The host channels in the UK are ITV analogue and eurosport. So, you hook up your Telewest box (and aerial lead) to the recorder and as far as I know it is as simple to operate as sky+. The benefit being you can put anything you want onto dvd and also edit recordings to get rid of advertisements etc.

Apparently for Telewest you may need something called a red remote to be able to use the dvd recorder handset to operate the Telewest box:
    http://www.redremote.co.uk/

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    mobily - my m8 spoke with Telewest who told him their HDD kit will be out by Christmas (no year mentioned hehe) It will come with a 160gb HDD & is made by Scientific Atlanta & will have 3 tuners - so he is going to wait for that but get a DVD recorder in the mean time (to replace his VCR) Does this rule out anything with EPG or are there DVD recorders that use EPG ?
    Paul ;)

7. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Telewest PVR does sound interesting I must say. I don't think that there is a DVD recorder out on the market which offers EPG.

I wonder if Telewest will charge a monthly fee to use their PVR?

8. Te Bheag

Te Bheag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Any updates on digitally recording from Telewest?

I don't want to use VHS, and I have a great Panny DVD already, so can/should I use a cheap DVD recorder until the Telewest PVR arrives? or is there a way to connect the Telewest box to the PC to record to HDD?

9. Te Bheag

Te Bheag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Fed up waiting for the telewest PVR, so got myself a Panny DMR-ES10 to be going on with. Anyone got any tips on getting good recordings from Telewest cable?

10. Nottman

Nottman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Latest on the Telewest PVR (courtesy Digital Spy):-

" Telewest is to become the first operator to launch HDTV into the UK.

The company has outlined plans for 'TV Drive', a new DVR product that will be available to all Telewest subscribers within the first quarter of 2006 and a "selected" number of customers next month.

The set-top box will boast three tuners - one more than Sky's PVR product, Sky+ - allowing viewers to simultaneously record two programmes while watching a third. It features a 160Gb hard drive, enabling up to 80 hours of storage.

TV Drive will cost an extra £10 to £15 per month, depending on the services taken. The existing set-top box can be kept as a second unit for £5 per month or, from later in 2006, for a one-off payment.

The HDTV service will launch at the same time as the DVR product, giving it a three to four month jump on Sky's planned offering. Telewest CFO Neil Smith revealed that movie and drama content had already been signed from Pathé and the BBC but refused to elaborate further on planned HD programming.

Meanwhile, the company will also launch a VOIP service in 2006 and - post merger with NTL - will explore becoming a "quad-play" provider with a new mobile service. "

I'm salivating already.

11. bvw

bvw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well done Telewest....10MB surfing and TV Drive.

Thanks for the info Nottman.