PVR suggestions please

Bridger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a PVR for my mother.
Requirements are
(a) A sensitive tuner - reception is marginal despite large aerial, mast head amplifier etc
(b) Ease of use - she is an 80 year old technophobe
(c) Twin tuner features

Thanks for any help

If they where still easily available I would consider the Pace Twin. My 81 year old mother uses one. It has had reliabilty problems but my mums one seems OK and Pace are still supprting it.
It is (obviously) a twin but it can only record one thing at once. This actually has advantages as one tuner is therefore always reserved for live TV.
With dual recording it is inevitable that at some point you will be stopped from watching something (or be asked if you want to stop watching something) when simultaneous recordings need both tuners.
As it is quite easy to set dual recordings without realising it this can confuse some users; may not happen often of course depending on how much recording is done.
The menus etc are the clearest and most logical that I have seen on any PVR.
It only came with a 20gig HDD so has about 10 hour recording limit.
There are 3 used ones on ebay at moment.
I would recomend the Digifusion FVRT200 but I would get your mum to look at the menus first they are a bit garish; might be a problem OK if her eyesight is not good.
The fact that I have not recommended The Topfield (of which I have two) is just that it may be overfeatured and priced accordingly. Straight out of the box it is not difficult to use and is now very reliable.
Richard

Sorry cannot comment on (a)

One thing to consider, if a twin tuner is absolutely necessary, is that it will need a stronger/better/cleaner signal than an equivalent single tuner, as the signal is inevitably degraded as it passes through the first tuner. Various boosters or amplifiers may provide adequate compensation but it is something to consider if reception is already, as you put it, marginal.

snail

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom