PVR Question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davidredge, Nov 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!

I’m aware of the Pace Twin and it looks like a lovely piece of kit. I recently found it for a mindbending price of £179, which is far closer to my budget. I don’t want to spend much on a PVR, since I rarely watch TV (although, when I do it seems I’m torn between two programmes.

However, I’ve missed that fab price now and I can only find it for £300+ which is leagues out of my budget. Are there any other options I could look at – are they worth looking at?

Also, is it possible to upgrade the hard-disk at all?

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thoroughly recommend the Digifusion equivalent. Regards, yt.

3. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've actually found the Pace Twin for a better price. Is this the best on the market or should i look elsewhere?

One point that i forgot, is that family do like to archive things to video, although VHS is probably not suitable and will upgrade to recordable DVD. Is this possible with the Pace?

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Pace is a great box - I paid £350 :mad:

Archiving is possible in 3 ways

Play out of TV Scart to RGB in DVD Recorder
    Play out of Scart 2 to DVD Recorder via SVId or a VCR via SVid or Composite
    TwinRIP on a PC

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I stand by my previous recommendation. Regards, yt.

6. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are not bothered about being able to record two channels at the same time (on the very very rare occasions we do, we record the other programme to DVD) then the Pace Twin is the one to go for.

The Pace Twin is still the best designed PVR bar none. There are so many little things that it does that none of the others do, or do as easily, and that makes the Pace Twin a dream to use. If you want me to list them I will with pleasure.

You can get the Twin direct from Pace for around £170.

Spok.

7. RogB

RogB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't need a digibox, cos my Panasonic TV has its own internal digital tuner. Could I connect up a Pace Twin simply as a recorder? And does anyone know of plans to market a PVR/DVD recorder with a digital tuner?
    RogB

8. Oldjim

Oldjim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba - early 2005 - info from Rasczak in the DVD Recorder forum copy below as I don't know how to link to it.
    The next UK model will the DR3 (non-HDD model) which is starting to become available now. The next HDD/DVDR model will be the RDXS34 due in March 05 and will have DVD-RW, 250GB HDD and Freeview tuner. DVD-RW support is less important in Japan/US where DVD-RAM is the dominant home recording format.

9. RogB

RogB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There were several great-sounding DVD/PVRs forecast for the end of 2004 weren't there. I guess a couple more months might be worth the wait.

How about the the Pace Twin tho - could I hook that up to a digital TV?

10. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pace Twin does not allow the recording of external sources. It just records the digital data stream as it comes from the aerial input. All other sockets are outputs only.

Spok.

11. RogB

RogB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spok - guess I'll have to wait for the digital tuner PVRs to appear. Why is that taking so long?

12. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not clear what it is you are after. There are two flavours of PVR -

Those (like the Pace Twin, Thompson, Digifusion and Sky+) that record the digital data from the signal coming in via aerial or satellite. Thus there is no loss of quality from record to replay. Replay is as if you were watching 'off air'.

and

Those that record from an external analogue source (such as a set top box). These usually come with a DVD recorder built in. Here there is encoding/compression of the signal as it is converted to digital data to record onto the HD. There is some loss of quality on replay.

If you are after a stand alone HD recorder that takes a pure digital input from an external digital source - I don't know of one. I suspect you will be waiting for a long time because of the problems with copyright etc.

Hope that helps.

Spok.

13. RogB

RogB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I haven't made myself clear. I've got a Panasonic TV with built-in digital tuner (so obvously I don't need the "set-top box" facility of units like the Pace Twin). I've got a Panasonic VHS/DVD combi hooked to it which means that I can only digitally record the DVB channel that I'm watching. I can, of course, use the combi's analogue tuner to record BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Ch 4 independently.
    I want to be able to watch one digital channel whilst viewing another digital channel. I also want to be able to record digital channels onto a hard disk when the TV is switched OFF. I also like the sound of the Time-Shift facility of some of these units. The DVD recorder would be desirable but not essential - always assuming that the recorder has a large hard disk.

14. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Now I understand. If you want to be able to watch one digital channel while recording another you will need two tuners. This was the way it was (and still is for many) in the days of analogue. You had one tuner in the television for watching, and another in your VHS machine for recording. Each could be tuned to a different channel.

You could have a similar arrangement for digital TV. You already have a digital tuner in you TV set which can be used for watching any channel. Any recorder you buy, whether HD or DVD, will also need at least one tuner so that it can record any channel independently.

The Pace Twin (and some others) have two digital tuners built in to cater for those who only have an analogue tuner in their television. They can then watch one channel while recording another, or, with some machines, Record two channels independently.

If you went for the Pace Twin you would end up with three digital tuners! But for just £170 who cares.

Spok.

15. RogB

RogB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's very helpful - thanks Spok. One last question then - what machines would allow me to record two channels independently?

RogB

16. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PVRs that will record two channels at the same time while you watch a previous recording are:

Sky+ - But has the huge disadvantage of an expensive subscription - and the picture quality is not good.

For freeview - Thompson and Digifusion have dual recording.

The Pace Twin and the Humax will only record the one channel at a time.

The Humax only has one tuner so you cannot even watch another channel while it records - unless you already have a digital tuner in your television.

The Pace Twin has two tuners built in and I am to this day at a loss to know why Pace did not give it the ability to record two channels at once. In our house this facility is not important, but to some I know it is life and death.

As I have said before in these forums, the Pace software is beautifully designed and is so easy to use. My wife and five year old daughter had no difficulty in mastering it. The little things, like the Skip forwards or backwards by sixty seconds buttons, and being able to easily resume playback from where you left off for any recording, make it a dream to use. And there are numerous other design things that more than make up for the lack of dual recording.

Let me know if you want any more information.

Spok.

17. mkehinde2

mkehinde2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can I use the Twin Pace to record Sky Programs? or switch between watching Sky and Freeview?

18. RogB

RogB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks yet again Spok - the Pace Twin's looking better all the time. I think it'll do me until someone markets a true digital HDD recorder with a DVD-RW bolted on.

RogB

19. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pace Twin is a Freeview only box. Sky+ boxes are for Sky only. Thankfully, never the twain shall meet.

Spok.