PVR or Freeview DVD/ HDD Recorder

mickyd67

Which should I choose folks?

I would imagine a DVD/ HDD would be the better option, however I would prefer a twin tuner and I am not sure that the current DVD/ HDD's offer that as I would prefer a Panasonic one.

On that note, has Panasonic stopped making the 200Gb version of their DVD/ HDD recorder? If so, why?

Cheers

maldonian

Novice Member
Which should I choose folks?

I would imagine a DVD/ HDD would be the better option, however I would prefer a twin tuner and I am not sure that the current DVD/ HDD's offer that as I would prefer a Panasonic one.
It depends what you mean by twin tuner (and why you want twin tuners). Some Pansonic DVD/HDD recorders, including most of the announced new range, have two tuners, one analogue and one digital, but you can only use one tuner at a time. If you want two tuners in the same box that you can use simultaneously then you need to look at PVRs, but then you won't have a DVD drive in the same box (unless you use a PC based PVR).

If you want twin tuners so you can record two programmes simultaneously then you can do this by using two DVD/HDD recorders (I do). If you want two digital tuners so you can watch one Freeview programme while recording another, you can achieve this in various ways, e.g with a Freeview recorder and a set top box.

On that note, has Panasonic stopped making the 200Gb version of their DVD/ HDD recorder? If so, why?
The recently announced new UK range is shown here.

mandm

Novice Member
if you were after twin tuner Sat Pvr than take a look at the topfield, although they don't have DVD recoder option but they are excellent sat-box.
:thumbsup:

ROYOLD

Novice Member
Best of both is what you need then. A cheap twin tuner PVR and a separate dvd recorder with or without a HDD. You can then transfer any recordings you wish to keep direct from the PVR to DVDR by scart lead.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom