PVR or DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by npower32, Sep 9, 2004.

1. npower32

npower32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been on the verge of buying a Recordable DVD with Hard Disk (DMR-E85 or RDXS32 probably) for a while now but having checked out the PVR forum I am wondering whether a straight Recordable DVD (eg DMR-E55) plus a separate PVR (eg Humax PVR8000T) would be a better option. The advantage of the latter route would be effectively twin tuners (digital on the Humax) but the downside is having two pieces of equipment rather than one. Pricewise the PVR option is cheaper but is there anything else I should be considering here?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Yes - the fact you won't be able to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players. There are no editting options on the Humax so if you wanted to edit out the advert breaks on your favourite recording you would need to use VR mode (DVD-RAM) which won't play on other DVD players.

3. npower32

npower32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Rasczak. Presumably this is an issue that would arise only with the Panasonic machines or others utilising DVD-RAM. I only gave the DMR-E55 as an example. Would I get around this problem with a Philips machine?

4. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The humax does lossless dvb recordings and the 7 day EPG with reservation-record is top notch. Also looks like you can upgrade the hd on a humax to 120gb - see pvr forum

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    If you get a dvd rec with HDD you'll also benefit from high speed dubbing. Far preffereable than having to dub in real time.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Not really because the on disk editting is useless on those models. If your happy to go down that route then 'pause record' gives similar results which will work on any DVDR/VCR.

If you go for a standalone it's really a case of editting and incompatibility or no editting and compatibility. Obviously if you add a PC burner into the mix or buy a HDD/DVDR combo then incompatibility can be avoided.

7. npower32

npower32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rasczak

Presumably in the above instance I would transfer the recording from the PVR to the hard disk on the PC, edit on the PC and then burn to DVD?

Thanks for your input.

8. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Humax you mentioned only has ONE tuner! But its an excellent piece of kit.

Expect to see some DVD/HD recorders + PVR soon.

9. npower32

npower32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I realise that the Humax has one tuner (digital). That was what prompted me to consider the PVR plus Recordable DVD so I would have two tuners (one on each) as opposed to the DVD/HDD option which as far as I'm aware presently only come with a single tuner (and not digital at that).

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Yes. You need to decide how you want to get the contents of the PVR to the PC though. A standalone DVD recorder will do this (and allow you to edit as well if you get the right model) or you could use a TV-PC capture device. If you want to go the latter way refer to the 'Home Cinema PC' forum for guidance.

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not get a PVR and DVDR/HDD?Problem solved.Sky+ and any DVD-/HDD model will suit all your needs