Question PVR Multiroom

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dan223, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dan223

dan223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering what the best solution is for a freeview HD PVR that I can access the recordings from another TV. Similar to a sky q setup?

I currently have a fairly old digital stream it’s still doing the job but I want to be able to view recordings on other TV’s. I’m not bothered if I have to replace the DVR a one box solution would be better. And having two DVRs are the worst case scenario, having to record things on both seems hassle.

It ideally needs to work with non smart tv’s so therefore needs to work with something like firetv or chromecast. Streamable from a Windows PC a plus.

There are a few solutions I have seen, non of which look great:
    VBox tv gateway - seems to do the job but means every device needs to be streaming and doesn’t have hdmi, the reviews I have seen suggest it can be clunky/buggy

Slingbox - Not exactly what I’m after as it’s still relys on another PVR and seems to be hard to purchase in the UK

Plex - Looks a better option but requires a fairly beefy dedicated computer which will use a lot of electricity. Which is why I looked at VBox

2. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Plex doesn't need a beefy computer just a decent NAS to run it well enough. One of the x86 models would be ideal and these also sport a hardware based video transcoder which means the CPU is not reliant on processing video (not all models support this).

From there you have choices on the tuner, you get a USB tuner to plug into the NAS and pair that with a DVBlink server which Plex taps into or you get something like a HDHomerun device which sits on the network separate from the NAS but can store it's recordings on the NAS and interface with Plex. HDhomeruns also have their own UI/app interface available on various devices.

Emby is a more free'ish alternative to Plex, supports all of the above but may take a little more work.

3. dan223

dan223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, I assume you mean a x18 model?

I'm surprised this hasn't been solved a different way, like a DVR that allows streaming to a smart device, or something like SkyQ for the freeview/freesat market. The x18 models is £250 minimum + Drives, homerun is about another £100 +£100 for plex pass. So I'm getting around the same as buying two DVR's. The other downside is that the NAS won't be able to stream 4K, so it's not really future proofed, and if I have plex I might as well use it to stream movies, which will be in 4K. I do like plex, and the whole interface of it, I was hoping for maybe another option or a PVR that can provide this sort of functionality :)

4. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    The models with the celeron CPU have hardware transcode support, one of those is what your after if going the Plex NAS route.

As for some all in one stream DVR box that does it all there probably is some obscure box out there that does, but the DVR STB market is in a bit of a time warp, maybe someone in the DVB forum knows better.

The best streaming servers I know of are all computer or NAS based, DVBlogic (now called TV Mosiac) or TVheadend.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,075
    Two Humax HDR-FOX-T2's can view each others recording so no need to record twice. I understand two Humax Freeview Play 5000T can do the same.

The HDR-FOX-T2 is out of production so you would need to look for secondhand. Add the Custom Firmware add on to a HDR-FOX-T2 it can do a lot more.

The key to this is DTCP-IP protected DLNA servers to allow viewing HD content.

6. dan223

dan223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So this sounds a better option for me. The 5000T looks like it requires a Humax streaming player which seems to have mixed reviews. I don’t mind getting a second hand HDR-FOX-T2 unit and installing some custom firmware, however one of the TVs is going to be in a bedroom, so a small unit like the Humax H3 for streaming could be stuck on the back of the TV, but does the HDR-FOX-T2 support streaming to any other device such as a firetv stick etc? Or does it have to be another HDR-FOX-T2?

Also I maybe looking at a freesat instead of freeview option to if there is one?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,075
    A vanilla HDR-FOX-T2 will only stream SD to other kit. However install the custom firmware add on from Hummy.TV and enable auto decryption. This removes the encryption on all recordings. Once decrypted you can use them on anything either streamed or copied to flash memory. They work fine on my Samsung tablet and smart phone.

Things Every HD-FOX T2/HDR-FOX T2 Owner Should Know

A Foxsat-HDR with the custom firmware can serve recordings to other kit (DLNA server only). HD requires a patch to Humax settop package to turn off HD recording encryption. It's possible to cross mount two Foxsat-HDRs using the nasmount package. This allows a Foxsat-HDR to stream recordings from another Foxsat-HDR on the same network.

The latest G2 Freesat+ boxes have a DLNA client so can stream content from a DLNA server but have no way of viewing content remotely other than using a HDMI splitter and a pair of baluns. If you add a hdmi matrix switch you can select different sources to be sent to the remote TV.

This set has a built in splitter and infra red return. You need to run a single cat6 cable between the two baluns.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-HDMI...pID=41ujH4lP9dL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018