pvr including hard drive usb

neo101

Standard Member
hi all,

strange question but is anyone aware of a pvr/freeview recorder that allows the internal hard drive to be used as a usb hard drive(or at least a partition of it).

To put it another way I have the mediagate 35, which has playback of dvd/mp3 pics etc. if this had a pvr built in that would do the job.

Basically i would like to have a pvr that allows playback of dvd's from the harddisk. The question begs how to get it into the harddrive in the first place. Either through the dvd-rom drive(the new panasonic pvr's have dvd-writers built in) or through usb connection to the pc. The reason being this would then also allow for a fixed external harddrive for other backup purposes.

Does anything like this exist or is it a silly idea?

Thanks for reading.

crammedin

hi all,

strange question but is anyone aware of a pvr/freeview recorder that allows the internal hard drive to be used as a usb hard drive(or at least a partition of it).

To put it another way I have the mediagate 35, which has playback of dvd/mp3 pics etc. if this had a pvr built in that would do the job.

Basically i would like to have a pvr that allows playback of dvd's from the harddisk. The question begs how to get it into the harddrive in the first place. Either through the dvd-rom drive(the new panasonic pvr's have dvd-writers built in) or through usb connection to the pc. The reason being this would then also allow for a fixed external harddrive for other backup purposes.

Thanks for reading.

I am not sure I got this post correctly but its possible to buy a DVD recorder with built in hard drive so that you can back up contents on a DVD to the hard drive and later put it back from hard drive to a DVDR. The Liteon I bought fairly cheaply from Currys or Comet for my parents can anyway depending on the firmware you put on it. Although I suspect manufacturers may not like that because there will be people out there that will be copying copy protected DVDs.

neo101

Standard Member
the idea was really to be able to put dvds and mp3s onto a pvr and be able to play them through the tv. Also it would have been nice to have them in their original format so if the pc hard drive crashed i would have the back up available on the pvr.

Trying to keep number of gadgets to a minimum,any ideas?

O

oilman

hi all,

Thanks for reading.

The Humax 9200T is has a 5 GB partition for uploading MP3s/Jpegs and playing them. There is a USB connection to do this.

Bearded_Malc

The toppy (TF5800) has a USB connection where you can upload any number of MP3s. You can also download recording to convert to DVD and convert DVDs to the recording format, and upload. Upload is quite slow though, about realtime or less. Conversion, when you have the right software takes a few minutes. The toppy users site, www.toppy.org.uk has users guides to this as well as toppy specific forums.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom