PVR/Home Media Center software... suggestions... recommendations

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 777php, Dec 28, 2002.

1. 777php

777php

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a complete PVR/Home Media Center software package. I recently bought a Shuttle SB51G with 2 80GB Hard drives a P4 1.8a, 512MB of Crucial PC2100 RAM, ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV, and a Pioneer 106s slot load DVD Rom.

Now all I need is some good software.

I've tried Freevo for Linux, but it didn't have PVR capabilities, yet.
    I also tried Showshifter but I didn't like the interface and the fact that the TV guide was web based.
    I was thinking about Snapstream but it doesn't play DVD's, DivX's (really important), show pictures, or play MP3's

Lastly I am looking into MythTV for Linux as it has everything that I am looking for except for the ease of setting up my remote wonder and the mess of compiling all these packages. It seems that mythtv has never ending dependencies.

Are there any other programs out there that perhaps I haven't tried? Suggestions.

2. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning to set up a PVR system on my current PC (P4 2Ghz, 256MB PC2700, might upgrade to 512MB, plenty of hard disk space free). I was going to use ShowShifter anyway and that DigiGuide/DGShow combo would seem to cover the software side.

I'm just a bit concerned about the reliability of Showshifter; I'm currently re-reading a review of version 1.5 in the June issue of PC Magazine and they say it was buggy and frustrated the testers by continually crashing. Does version 2.0 solve these problems?

As for the Hardware side, I'm considering the Hauppauge WinTV PCI FM - nicam tv tuner, fm tuner and s-video in. My first (and only) tv card to date was a WinTV Primio and though it used to crash a lot, with the 2000 WDM drivers it's running flawlessly on my sister's P166mmx. So I would have thought I'd have no problems with this card.

And it comes with a remote - how much scope is there for using it to control the entire system, perhaps even with a different remote?

Any comments on how reliable the above would be (I'm running XP)? ShowShifter recommends a P3 1GHz so presumably I will be ok without hardware acceleration?

4. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The old one was pretty flaky, especially on dubious or early WDM video capture drivers. I've been running the 2.0 version on a clean install of XP for about a month, and it has been pretty good. I'd suggest you be careful with codecs though & only install the ones you really need. The old divx311 hacks were terrible, and something in one of the codec megapacks regularly kills showshifter.

I'm using the remote in conjunction with girder + uirt2. This works fine & allows control of anything. You can use the WinTV remote directly with showshifter, but it will only control showshifter.

Andy.

5. 777php

777php

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into this program by Cyberlink.
    PowerVCR II

Anyone have experience with this program?

6. 777php

777php

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0