PVR for Freesat

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mattDP, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mattDP

mattDP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm about to move into a house that can get neither Freeview nor Virgin cable, which leaves me with very limited options if I want to get digital TV.

I was resigned to having to get Sky and getting the Sky+ service for my PVR, which I wasn't terribly happy about. However, I've just discovered the Freesat option - and as luck would have it the property already has a satellite dish installed which should keep the costs down.

This leaves me with the problem of not having a recorder of any kind - my old VHS machine is, well, old and very out of date so I want a PVR. But I've got no idea if I can use a PVR alongside Freesat, especially considering that I'd like something that can record on a different channel to what I'm watching.

So can anyone let me know if there's any PVR I can buy to use with Freesat? Ideally I'd like something with an integrated DVD-R, the ability to watch/record different channels and a Freeview reciever that I can use when Freeview comes to the area but these aren't essential.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
  3. Gordon Briggs

Gordon Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Matt,

My son uses a Relook 400s satellite PVR which he rates very highly. It receives Freesat, and comes with the option of allowing you to fit your own hard drive, which he did. It has twin tuners and allows two progs to be recorded at the same time, also allowing you to watch a previous recording, also at the same time.

Here is a link to let you find out more.

http://www.simply-satellite.net/relookcouk

Hope this helps,

Gordon.

4. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    There are satellite versions of the Toppy too - but note that you won't be able to get C4 or Five at the moment.

That might change when the BBC's Freesat service starts, sometime next year, at which point there may be a crop of new machines designed to be compatible with that.

Nigel.

5. mentore

mentore
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have a look around the pages of What Satellite and Digital TV and look for their recommendations for a Digital Satellite PVR..there are many brands with many price-points but Freesat will be unencrypted and free-to-air so you will NOT need a CAM slot (Common Access Slot ) for a PCM1CA type decoder and card.At the moment most PVRs will offer this facility and some will come with "embedded" CAMs for Viaccess,Nagravison etc...you will need none of this for Freesat. So you'll have to consider whether you want to pay for it.

Frankly while there is a good choice of free-to-air satellite receivers , FTA PVRs are scarce if not non-existent so alternatively you could mate an FTA DST receiver to a DVD recorder with a hard drive .Timed recordings could be initiated by the sat receiver switching on the DVD/HDD recorder.

Have a look at the prices for DST PVRs..you may feel that Sky+ is cheaper and easier until a dedicated Freesat PVR(s) makes its appearance.

6. reforse

reforse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    www.satfuchs.de

I ordered a Topfield TF4000 from Germany at a good price. It is only a watch one record one not a true twin tuner although other models are.

Sat PVRs are much more widely used in the EU than in the UK where S*y have had a proprietorial lock in set up.