• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PVR eg.Humax decent playback quality

norbellini

Standard Member
i need a pvr that has decent playback quality Not all that bothered about HD I have had a humax ,one of the first ones and the picture through it is poor not sharp at all although the ariel /tv is superb Nothing fancy at all really We are seniors and the old peepers needs a helping hand Older models would be fine Any suggestions please thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Satellite (Do you have a dish ?) or Terrestrial (normal aerial) ? Does your TV have HDMI inputs ?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I have an arial Its good quality and i get a really good picture through my 37Bush tv that has 2 HDMI ports

Current models from Humax

FVP-4000T Freeview Play unit, HDR2000T - Freeview+ box and DTR-T2000 Youview box

See

Home page

If you can find one the now discontinued Humax HDR FOX T2 is arguably the best terrestrial pvr from Humax.

TJT1

Distinguished Member
Seconded for the T2 especially with the custom firmware HERE although not new.:(

TJT1

Distinguished Member
You need both to compare accurately and I don't have a T1000.
Anyway, compare in what way?

norbellini

Standard Member
well i reckon you will be more "clued" on these recorders and possibly know if they do about the same job To my untraned eye they look quite similar It must be if one of them maybe has a achilles heel As i said its not the bells and whistles i am bothered about just the picture quality and they both are HD
still thanks for your help i am looking at these 2 for sure

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
well i reckon you will be more "clued" on these recorders and possibly know if they do about the same job To my untraned eye they look quite similar It must be if one of them maybe has a achilles heel As i said its not the bells and whistles i am bothered about just the picture quality and they both are HD
still thanks for your help i am looking at these 2 for sure

The youview boxes have a number of shortcomings.

There is no manual tuning option - this can be an issue in areas that can get multiple transmitters.

There is no manual timer or recording padding. You are entirely dependant on the broadcaster getting accurate recording start and stops correct, if they use AR. For the others if times deviate from the scheduled times you lose part of the recording.

The other boxes in the list allow you to archive recordings to an external hard drive. There is no such option on a Youview box.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
IS the HDR FOX T2 able to use the i player/itv player feature

iplayer (including HD version) and YouTube. No other significant OD services.

Old Bones

There is no manual tuning option - this can be an issue in areas that can get multiple transmitters.

There is no manual timer or recording padding. You are entirely dependant on the broadcaster getting accurate recording start and stops correct, if they use AR. For the others if times deviate from the scheduled times you lose part of the recording.

The other boxes in the list allow you to archive recordings to an external hard drive. There is no such option on a Youview box.

Those are the basic differences, plus, as has been mentioned, all 4 channels on demand, while the T2 only has Iplayer. I seem to remember no loop through capacity, or has that been changed?

To be fair, the external storage is something relatively few people would want, and for most, manual tuning isn't really needed (although I would argue its essential). The biggest problem with Humax's is that their tuners are normally too good. Its something that the tech support guys talk about - it leads to people thinking the box is duff when the signal is actually too strong.

If you can get a T2, fine (but even Humax are not doing refurbed ones on their website any longer), or the You View box. The BT Youview box is also much the same thing, but slightly smaller, and (strangely) a bit cheaper (£149). The new Humax has extra tuners and Freetime Play. The thing I noticed was that the scart had gone - which means pretty much no PVR now has a scart.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom