PVR/DVR with External input and freeview decoder?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Markyloo, Jun 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Markyloo

Markyloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i wonder if anybody can help as i'm not having much luck finding this out!!!

I Currently Have a Tivo, and am wanting to get rid of it, and i also don't want sky+,

I am looking for a DVR/PVR, that i can use to record a signal from an external source like the tivo does...

I.e. i am looking at buying one of the freeview DVR's, pace, fusion, humax or thomson, but i still want to be able to record from my current freeview box as i can receive the top up tv channels with it... i also have free to view sky channels, which i would also like to record.

Tivo can do both of these things i know, but you need to pay a subscription, and if you don't pay subscription, then it becomes amazingly un-userfriendly, and limits itself to nothing more useful than a VCR, probably less usefull actually..

So in a nutshell, i want a pvr to record my top up tv channels, and/or the freeview sky channels.
    It doesn't have to have a freeview decoder in it, although it would be helpful.

I suspect such a product does not exist, but i can wish!
    I may end up getting a PVR anyway, but my main issue is recording the top up channels.

If anyone can let me know of any pvrs i have overlooked, or that any of the current ones can do this, i would greatly appreciate it!

P.s. i did a search and couldn't find any relevant info sorry if it's already been posted...

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well all the current crop of HD based Freeview recorders are limited to their internal tuners so are useless for recording from an external source.
    There are HD and DVD based recorders which can take an external source but none of them have the PVR functions to match SKY+ let alone the more flexible TIVO system.
    However that doesn't mean they couldn't serve your purpose once you learnt to live without the simplicity and daily updated TIVO interface.

Why not just buy a lifetime sub to the TIVO instead of spending a similar amount on a HD based alternative?

3. Markyloo

Markyloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about getting a lifetime sub, but they are limited to the life of the recorder, and mine is relatively old now... and there is always the possibilty that tivo stop supporting the uk market, it can't be paying them surely.... especially as there are now no New Tivos on sale.

Not only that but last time i checked i think it was £200 for the lifetime pass...
    And thats money i haven't got, whereas if i were to sell my tivo (i wouldn't get much for it i know!) then i would have some money towards a new DVR.

I don't particularly want to get a dvd based one either, as the cheapest i have seen is around £400 i think, and also i don't archive anything much at all so it would be pointless, other than for future use.

Maybe the new humax dual tuner one if and when it comes out will have a card slot, or cam slot.... Only time will tell :rolleyes:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The Humax 9000T I believe is still going to be a Freeview product only but it has been delayed yet again and Humax have announced a TUTV compatable product at some future date so maybe the two are connected:)
    You will still only be restricted to the STB's internal tuners but I assume that is more inportant than being able to record anything from SKY.

5. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes Markyloo you are right that a sub is 200 quid but I will still be getting one as I have just purchased a Tivo myself from Ebay.Mine cost me 240 quid :eek: and I have hacked it with a 160gig drive already.

Its worth taking a look on the Tivo Community forums as there is some discussion about Tivo still supporting the UK for at least another 3 years.

Also I wouldnt worry about the Tivo failing as most problems are Hard drive related and also a company called Pacelink can repair Tivo's down to component level.

If you do decide to sell it try Ebay first as they always fetch a good price but personally I think you will regret it :)

Steve

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I agree with sjl, if you sell your TiVo you will almost certainly regret it as there is nothing else that comes even close to the TiVo's features. It's either VCR type dumb recording or Freeview now/next, 2 day or 7 day (if you can get it) EPG.
    As long as you can plug drives in on a PC then you can easily upgrade the HDD which is the only likely part to go wrong in a reasonable length of time. But you do also have the option of getting a repair from Pacelink or TiVoLand.

sjl, £240 for a TiVo is a good deal compared to what I paid when they were first released. Back then it cost me £400 just for the TiVo and another £200 for the lifetime sub :eek:.

Mark.

7. Markyloo

Markyloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the inout guys,
    I guess i may have to rethink the whole tivo thing....

It is damn good i know, and nothing currently comes close, it's just i can't really justify the subscription....
    The lifetime pass is a sensible idea... just gonna have to save for it, cos i can't afford that either.

Selling my tivo box was going to be the income to get my new pvr, or at least a fund towards a new pvr...

Back to the drawing board i guess.....

I may end up doing the unmentionable, and just getting another hard drive for my pc, and use that as a pvr!!! :eek: