PVR connection cuts off TV's Freeview

Caroline

A colleague is having problems with his Goodmans digital TV which a friend gave him. It has built-in Freeview and works fine, but when he connects his PVR via scart he can get the Freeview programmes via the PVR but can no longer get the TV's Freeview service.

He wants to be able to watch Freeview programmes on the TV while recording another Freeview programme on the PVR.

Could this be a scart pin problem?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
A colleague is having problems with his Goodmans digital TV which a friend gave him. It has built-in Freeview and works fine, but when he connects his PVR via scart he can get the Freeview programmes via the PVR but can no longer get the TV's Freeview service.

He wants to be able to watch Freeview programmes on the TV while recording another Freeview programme on the PVR.

It's more likely the aerial patch lead from the pvr to the TV is faulty or there is not one installed (pvr rfout to tv aerial in). If it's just some programmes missing the pvr may have an internal modulator set to an inappropriate channel.

Caroline

It's more likely the aerial patch lead from the pvr to the TV is faulty or there is not one installed (pvr rfout to tv aerial in).

You're probably right, although he did say he could only get the terrestrial (non digital) channels on the TV after the PVR was connected. He's ringing me tonight, so I'll check with him and get back to you.

I see you're another Toppy user :). Great aren't they.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
You're probably right, although he did say he could only get the terrestrial (non digital) channels on the TV after the PVR was connected. He's ringing me tonight, so I'll check with him and get back to you.

I see you're another Toppy user :). Great aren't they.

Yes they are. :clap:

creddish

As well as the other suggestions it could simply be the PVR Scart switching signal sent when the PVR is powered on automatically switching the TV to accept the PVR input for display. It may be necessary to press a button on the TV to return to displaying the output from it's own tuner(s), or putting the PVR to standby.

Colin

Caroline

As well as the other suggestions it could simply be the PVR Scart switching signal sent when the PVR is powered on automatically switching the TV to accept the PVR input for display. It may be necessary to press a button on the TV to return to displaying the output from it's own tuner(s), or putting the PVR to standby.

Colin

Sorry guys, I'm having a bit of a communication problem with my colleague who has been somewhat forgetful it getting the information to me that might help solve this problem.

I know it's a Goodmans TV, so we're not talking top of the range stuff here. I suspect the PVR is a similar cheapie as when I asked for the make I eventually got the answer... "Not sure coz the label has fallen off" :suicide:

I gave him a 21-pin scart lead to try yesterday. I'll be really surprised if he remembered to try it, but I've found one with only nine pins and thought he could give that one a go.

Colin, your suggestions are sound and I'll tell him about them, but I can almost see his eyes glazing over already.
:(

Regards

creddish

Sorry guys, I'm having a bit of a communication problem with my colleague who has been somewhat forgetful it getting the information to me that might help solve this problem.

I know it's a Goodmans TV, so we're not talking top of the range stuff here. I suspect the PVR is a similar cheapie as when I asked for the make I eventually got the answer... "Not sure coz the label has fallen off" :suicide:

I gave him a 21-pin scart lead to try yesterday. I'll be really surprised if he remembered to try it, but I've found one with only nine pins and thought he could give that one a go.

Colin, your suggestions are sound and I'll tell him about them, but I can almost see his eyes glazing over already.
:(

Regards
The SCART switching thing is common to most AV equipment capable of being connected to a TV so will probably apply whatever the cost of the individual units. I'm sure between us we can devise a simple step by step procedure to isolate the problem without getting involved the technicalities.

If he loses the ability to watch TV using the TVs digital tuner only when the PVR is switched on then one solution is simply to set the PVR to standby as the PVR will continue to record in this mode. Alternatively there is probably a button on the TV Remote which will release the PVRs hold on the TV posssibly an A/V, Source or TV named button.

Colin

Caroline

The SCART switching thing is common to most AV equipment capable of being connected to a TV so will probably apply whatever the cost of the individual units. I'm sure between us we can devise a simple step by step procedure to isolate the problem without getting involved the technicalities.

If he loses the ability to watch TV using the TVs digital tuner only when the PVR is switched on then one solution is simply to set the PVR to standby as the PVR will continue to record in this mode. Alternatively there is probably a button on the TV Remote which will release the PVRs hold on the TV posssibly an A/V, Source or TV named button.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I've e-mailed your suggestion to him. I don't seem to have that problem with my equipment, it just works. My Toppy PVR just switches on and records quietly in the background..

Thanks again

Caroline

creddish

Thanks Colin, I've e-mailed your suggestion to him. I don't seem to have that problem with my equipment, it just works. My Toppy PVR just switches on and records quietly in the background..

Thanks again

Caroline
Doen't the Toppy automatically trigger the TV to receive the output of the Toppy when you switch the Toppy on? Or you have to press the AV (or similar) button on the TV to select the Toppy's signal?

Colin

Caroline

Doesn't the Toppy automatically trigger the TV to receive the output of the Toppy when you switch the Toppy on? Or you have to press the AV (or similar) button on the TV to select the Toppy's signal?

Colin

Actually, thinking about it, when we turn on the system to watch a Blu-Ray, the Pronto remote automatically switches on the Topfield PVR first so that if while during viewing a film the PVR needs to record something, it doesn't trigger the TV to receive its output.

That's the trouble when you set up a remote to carry out a series of functions in sequence it's very easy to forget what does happen.

My colleague has got a chap coming in to install a new aerial and he has asked him to sort out his TV problem. He told me yesterday he hadn't got around to trying any of the scarts or switchers that I had given him. :suicide: I don't think I'll be trying to help him again any time soon.

Some people, eh!

I'm sorry to have taken you all on this fruitless ride, but it's taught me a lesson.:(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom