1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR Card help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pcpaz, Sep 17, 2004.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At present I have a Radeon 9200 card which is great for DVD playback but now I want to capture/record tv programmes. Would an all in one card be better or a separate PVR card, any suggestions of card would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    To briefly answer your question I would say a standalone card would be better than an all in one but they are not without their problems:

The trouble as I see it at the moment is that you have two broad options: cards with hardware encoders (such as the hauppage PVR250/350) and those that rely on software to encode the video (such as the sweetspot or packard bell PBTV100).

Now, the hardware ones work well, use very little processor power and are reliable, the problem is that the quality is crap and there is a horrible 2 second delay from live TV, this makes using them with a sky digibox impossible (well, not impossible but very unpleasant).

The software ones on the other hand have great quality (not seen the sweetspot but I'm sure its better than the £30 PBTV one and thats fine) but I've yet to see a piece of software which is anywhere near reliable enough to use on a day to day basis.

Hopefully when meedioTV comes out we'll have a viable software solution to this problem, until then I'm not convinced it can be done.

Owain