PVR basic functionality

ionh

Standard Member
Back in the day I had one of the early freeview Humax recorders, and one of the many features I loved was that I could easily look at the list of recorded programmes while watching live TV (or another recorded programme), and I could check the live TV schedules while watching a recording (or a live TV programme) -- the details just came up as an (adjustably) transparent overlay.

Since this was my first PVR, i foolishly took it for granted that this sort of obvious functionality was industry standard, but when the Humax eventually packed up the Panasonic freeview play replacement was very different; essentially, the recording and viewing functions are completely separate, so if i want to check the list of my recordings or check the TV schedule I have to completely exit any kind of playback/viewing (with the sole exception that the live TV schedule can be checked with live TV still running in a tiny window).

It's amazing how irritating this is if you're accustomed to a considerably slicker operation! In fact, it's so irritating that i'm prepared to fork out for a replacement. But my concern is that this "recordings and live TV are completely separate" approach may be a necessary consequence of freeview play (as opposed to vanilla freeview, which is what the first box had). This doesn't seem to be covered in any of the advertised model descriptions, so i wondered if anyone on this forum had any input on the user interfaces available "out there"?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom