PVR as mp3 player?

M

MICK WATTAM

I have a large collection of mp3 files on my computer and would like to be able to play them through my hifi in the living room. I am currently looking for a PVR and a DVD recorder and would ideally like to transfer the mp3's to the PVR so that I can use it as a music player as well as video recorder. I note that the Humax which I was originally going to go for only has space for 5gb of mp3's , which is not enough. Can anyone advise which way I should go?

Not sure if the Topfield has a limit but managed to get over 10GB onto mine:thumbsup: . Interface isnt great for searching but there's TAPs out there which are specific MP3 players.

I don't think there's a limit on the Toppy TF5800 but as James mentions, the Toppy MP3 interface is very basic. Adding the MP3 Jukebox TAP helps, but it's still not great and certainly not as easy to use or as flexible as Windows Media Player or iTunes.

For example : it'll look no deeper than one folder, so you can't copy your files straight across if they're sub-divided into Artist, then Album folders (both iTunes and Media Player use this method as their defaults), unless you're happy with a list of albums with no artist information that is ! (You can rename them of course, but this all takes time)

The TF5800 is a fantastic PVR but, personally, I think the MP3-playing ability of the Toppy is a bonus and wouldn't want to use it as my main source of music in my lounge.

If your after a way of playing your mp3 collection through the hifi, then you could do worse then look at something like the squeezebox 3 or roku soundbridge. Of course if you wanted a pvr anyway and was looking at the mp3 facility as a bonus, then this post is pretty much irrelevant!

mikej said:
For example : it'll look no deeper than one folder, so you can't copy your files straight across if they're sub-divided into Artist, then Album folders (both iTunes and Media Player use this method as their defaults), unless you're happy with a list of albums with no artist information that is ! (You can rename them of course, but this all takes time)
Agreed but there is a good shareware programme out there called the godfather this can be pointed at a directory of mp3s and will rename them accroding to the pattern you choose. I set mine up to change song names to:

Artist - Album - Track no. - Song title.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom