1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR and Sky digital

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by wonderloaf, Sep 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Now that I've upgraded to a Hitachi 42PD7200, I'm getting fed up with watching the grotty pictures being produced from our VCR, so am thinking about replacing it with a HDD PVR. I'm not considering a move up to Sky+ at the moment, because will probably subscribe to Sky HD at sometime in the future, so am looking for something to fill the gap for the next year or two.

Does anyone out there know of any PVR's which can record from an external source (ie Sky digital)? I've been looking at the Humax PVR-8000T and the Goodmans GHDD1782DVBT as they both say they have Scart inputs (the Humax apparently has got composite in, even that's got be better than the existing VCR setup), has anybody any experience of using either of these, or any other PVR's, with Sky digital?

Apologies if this question has already been asked, any info will be gratefully received.

2. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See the previous thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237589

The short answer is, 'no'. Freeview PVRs work purely on the digital signal, they do not have MPEG encoding capability to record analogue inputs. I wish they had, that would suit me perfectly too!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    You could try a HDD/DVDR combi that is capable of controlling your set-top box. For example the Pioneer 530 which also has it's own EPG (Guideplus which is acceptable if not brilliant). You could also look at the Toshiba RDXS34 which will give better performance but will require you to set the unit's Timer (much like a VCR) as it has no EPG - it will still control your Digibox though.

My personal preference though would be to get Sky+ - it simply can't be beaten as a timeshifter and you get the added benefit that your recordings will be 'red dot' free.