PVR and recording to memory card

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by kersters, Feb 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kersters

kersters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    a colleague showed me her mobile which contains a slot for a memory card. She mentioned that she can download films from the internet and then watch them on the mobile.
    Can any of the available PVRs (with or without freeview) record directly to a memory card? If not, what would be the easiest way to transfer a recorded program onto a memory card?
    Thanks,
    Kersters

2. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use USB 2 to attach a 6/7/8-in-1 memory card reader to your PC and just write to the card from a PC encoding program like VirtualDub.

(a lot of mobiles are very choosy about the exact video format they'll play so you may need quite a lot of experimentation (or internet searching!) to find a known working solution - for example I have an Sony Ericsson K700i and it requires the use of "mpegable" to encode the right kind of video with the framerate set to 16.5Hz ?!? - go figure!)

Cliff

3. kersters

kersters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff,
    thanks for answering. I thought I may need to do something like that. It was really just an idea I had when my colleague showed me this phone. It seemed a great way to watch something you recorded from TV while you're on the go (albeit you need a good set of eyes...), unless you wanna invest in something like the Archos.

I have no experience with recording from a PVR to a PC and then to the memory card. How long do you reckon would it take to save a film (2 hours?) from a PVR to a PC and then to a memory card? How much is a memory card writer?
    Kersters

4. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most PVRs don't have "digital streaming output" so the only way to get something out to a PC is to play it in real time either to a DVD recorder (then insert disc in PC) or to a TV card fitted to a PC that will record. Either way, realtime means a 2hour film WILL take 2 hours to record to some form of MPEG video stream. Once you have it in MPEG the conversion to suitable format for mobile/PDA play should be much quicker.

A USB memory card adapter for a PC should be about £10 upwards.

Cliff

5. kersters

kersters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff,
    goodness, digital streaming (screaming..) no idea whether I have that. I will need to check (Topfield 4000).
    Thanks for the info
    Kerstin

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    and whether your mobile will have enough battery life to display 2 hours of video....plus whether there are any memory cards that will hold 2 hours of MPEG video?