pvr advice - wireless, divx/xvid, sky

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by will0099, Sep 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. will0099

will0099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a PVR with the following features:

1) 54mbps 802.11g connectivity
    2) plays almost all video/audio formats (definitely xvid/divx/mpeg2/mp3, possibly easily upgradeable?) across the network
    3) a fast epg that includes sky channels, and ability to change sky digital box channel (with an ir blaster thing or so?)
    4) decent size hard drive

Does such a thing exist, or am i going to have to build a mythtv box or similar? I've had a search around, but is PVR the right term for such a box? Maybe media server or centre or something..

Thanks,

Will

2. skelk

skelk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have found the PVR I want....

My requirements were as follows:

1. DVDR Dual Layer Recorder
    2. Hard Disk Recorder
    3. 2 x Freeview
    4. Ethernet/wireless
    5. Electronic Program Guide
    6. USB 2,0, 1000 Mbit network, DVI, HDMI
    7. MediaPlayer for Streamed Media (DIVX etc)

I have found one with this! It doesn't get released until the first quarter of next year but I am definitely going to get one.

It has 4 x Freeview tuners (or SKY Tuners, depends on what you want it shipped with) so overspecs my requirements.

http://www.reelbox.co.uk/reelbox-avantgarde.htm

Its not cheap at £849 but who cares? I gives me exactly what I want, no other manufacturer even comes close and the beauty of this little box is that is can be hacked up and down as much as you want. It can be upgraded to suit your needs as and when new technology comes out.

If anyone else knows anything similar I'd like to check, its nice to have a choice.

3. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Plus VAT & Shipping......brings it to over a grand. Pretty expensive, I think.

4. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If you can find the spare quiet PC parts for a MythTV/Freevo etc.. linux PVR it will be your cheapest option. Next will be Windows MCE and the Reelbox.

The big problem with all UK PVRs and DVRs is the metadata in the EPG. So far the best supplier is the imperfect TiVo, closely followed by Windows MCE. To get better reliability even these sometimes have to be supplemented with Digiguide add-ons.
    You can spend thousands of pounds on an HTPC, but without the crucial metadata it won't automatically hunt and search hundreds of thousands of channels and programmes for what you want with great precision.

Everyone under-estimates the value of metadata and the cost of maintaining it.
    Luckily there is the TV-Anywhere initiative that should launch soon-ish to provide a proper standard and more easily maintaniable way of providing metadata for UK PVRs.
    This will enable proper and more reliable series linking/season passes, wishlists, suggestions etc..

5. skelk

skelk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hmmm. Thats probably a good reason to stick with Linux.

6. Damon

Damon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    4 Tuners and only 160GB HDD? Even the £200 Humax 9200T has 2 Tuners with 160GB.

Not as pretty or spec'd as the one the OP wants but you would think for over a grand it would have more space.

Dows look nice though and if i won the lottery...maybe

Damon